Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    randy1212 Posts: 111, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 07:16 AM
    Key switch
    Just wondering how to check a key switch on a rider to see if it is bad?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2009, 07:33 AM

If still connected, a voltmeter will work, if removed a continuity tester can test.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 18, 2009, 07:43 AM

Find the large wire coming from the switch to the starter. Put a test lead on the connection of the wire and the starter and ground the other lead to the engine block, now tyrn the key. Hope you have 3 hands or a helper.
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2009, 07:49 AM

A couple of things on Ignition switches. Most Have a constant hot, then a ignition switched, and accessory position, and the start position.
    Some systems will have 2 other connections, 1 to a Mag, and another to ground.
    Kill and Safety circuits can give the symptoms of a bad switch.

Mar 18, 2009, 07:51 AM

Right and the chances are better than one of your several safety switches has failed. Do you know how to check them?

Mar 18, 2009, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Right and the chances are better than one of your several safety switches has failed. Do you know how to check them?
    I don't no how to check them can u tell me? Thanks

Mar 18, 2009, 08:14 AM

Use a continuity tester for this. Locate all switches; one under the seat, one on the blade engage linkage and likely another of your shifter or clutch/brake. Once you find them disconnect the wiring harness and insert your two test leads in the females connector. As you actuate the switch you should see the circuit open and close. If it stays open or stays closed no matter how you operate the switch then it is bad. You may need to check you manual to find all switches, they are not in your face and can be well hidden.

Mar 18, 2009, 08:22 AM

OK I found them and tested the brake one. Power to it and you turn the switch and it powers the other wire so I think that one is good the blade switch has 4 wires 2 yellow and 2 blue the blue ones go to seat switch. One yellow has power and turn switch and the other yellow lights up. But how about the blue ones no power at all is that a ground only type or is there a way to check the blue wires that go from the blade switch to the seat switch? Thanks you are great

Mar 18, 2009, 09:27 AM

Can u tell me how to check the seat safety switch? There is no power to it?
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2009, 01:20 PM

Never seen the schematic for these, if it is to not allow the starter to operate unless sitting, and deck disengaged, anyone know if standing up when running if it will die, or is it just for starter. If the 1 way, then the starter solenoid likely gets its positive from ignition switch, and the ground would go through the safetys in series, and the last switch would have a wire to ground. Test at Starter and see if you are getting a hot voltage when key is turned, and if aware of the dangers and able to safely override switches, a quick test could be done.

Mar 18, 2009, 01:27 PM

I checked the continuity for each switch and they are working so I think I have checked everything except the switch so I am thinking it is bad? Any other comments.. thanks..
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2009, 01:33 PM

Check for power to switch, and all terminals, turn key on, look for that ignition switched wire(should now be hot), then turn key to start and see which is now hot, that is your starter wire.
    I would test for voltage whichever is more easily accessible, the Ignition Switch, or the starter.
    2 conditions need to be met at the solenoid, a hot and a ground.
    Good Luck.
    If you have a Test light, hook clip to Battery ground and look for hot with the probe when switch is turned to start, then clip onto the Battery POSITIVE and now touch the probe to the ground terminal connection on starter, see if when all saftys are intact, it lights, then disengage, light should go out.

Mar 18, 2009, 01:37 PM
    Thanks there is power to switch and when u turn it the only one that lights is the one for the headlights there is no other leads that get hot. And there is no power to the other side of the silinoid or to the starter so I think it can only be the switch?
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2009, 01:39 PM

Do you have a schematic, or Make and model#?
    Picture of switch and solenoid with the wires attached?

Mar 18, 2009, 01:44 PM
    It is a huskey mower I don't have the numbers with me and I do not have a wire diagram the switch has five plugs on the back of it there was some corrosion on them not a lot.. Tried to clean them.. But no luck I can start the mower off the silinoid by jumping across
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2009, 01:53 PM

Are you jumping the hot? if so the ground is intact.
    You could disconnect the hot that you are jumping, put voltage on it and llok for volyage at switch. Ignition switch may have a fused hot for headlights, another for Ignition/Start?
    Got to go. Will check back later.

Mar 18, 2009, 01:54 PM

Randy , remember we are not necessarily looking for power through the switch, just continuity. Insert your test leads and open and close the switch, your tester should show an open circuit or no circuit and then a closed circuit, you do this with the harness removed so no power.

Mar 18, 2009, 02:01 PM
    Great I will try that. Do I just touch the lead with the continuity tester and ground the other lead end to check for continuity and listen for the beep? Thanks for your help

Mar 18, 2009, 05:31 PM

You put both test leads on the switch, one on each side. You are trying to determine if the switch can make and break a circuit. It is like a light switch, flip it one way and it makes a connection allowing power to flow through. Flip it the other way and it is now an open circuit and no power can pass through. You are testing the continuity of the switch, you do not need to put your tractors battery power through it, the continuity tester has its own little battery inside.
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2009, 06:50 PM

I found this, doesn't show ground for solenoid?:
    Basic Tractor wiring diagram

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing fan motor relay switch with upgraded switch [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I've searched online to locate a replacement fan motor relay switch for an old Fedders propane heating unit in my greenhouse. The replacement should be fairly easy to do, however the part I was needing ( RBM 84-20103-301A) was listed as obsolete and was replaced by (McQuay part #...

Connect a port on a remote switch to a secure segment on the local switch [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 Netvanta 1224R switches. On the main switch I have 3 Vlans setup. Vlan1 = main network (example IP 123.231.5.1) Vlan2 = Web Access (Example IP 69.115.851.202) Vlan3 = Secure segment (Example IP 123.231.8.1) On the remote switch I have 1 Vlan. Vlan1 = Main network (example IP...

HEAT-OFF-COOL system switch - AUTO-ON fan switch [ 1 Answers ]

From an Email: ''Dear asklabman, I am a first time house ownere & having an issue with my Honeywell T8112 Programmable Thermostat. Thermostat has two switches for the fan - AUTO FAN & FAN ON switches and three switches for thes system, COOL, HEAT & System OFF modes. Yesterday we turned ON...

HEAT-OFF-COOL system switch - AUTO-ON fan switch. [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Gurus, I am a new house owner & not used to thermostats. We have Honeywell 8112D thermostat. We recently turned ON our Fan switch (in the thermostat). Now the fan is not turning off. It is continuously running even when the system is in OFF & Fan is in AUTO mode. We tried reducing the...

Converting pull switch lights to wall switch [ 3 Answers ]

I've been struggling finding the answer to this in books and online, it seems as if it should be an easy question and something that gets done all the time. Looking for some help. My basement has several rooms and all lights are wired "hot" with pull switches from each light receptacle. When the...

View more questions Search