Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    randy1212 Posts: 111, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2009, 04:51 AM

Thanks a lot guys I am getting a new switch today and I am sure it will take care of it. Thanks a lot for your help

Mar 19, 2009, 09:25 AM

Switch didn't work on it either... anyone have any ideas
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 19, 2009, 09:40 AM

Are you talking about a new replacement switch not working also. By not working do you mean you tested the switch with your tester and it failed or you installed it and the trctor still won't start?

Mar 19, 2009, 09:42 AM

Yes I put it on the tractor and there is still a no start the only way I can start it is jump the silinoid this is so flustering to me

Mar 19, 2009, 09:49 AM

Did all other switches test out as OK? It would be a odd coincidence for 2 to be bad at once but worth asking the question.

Mar 19, 2009, 09:50 AM

Yes I did the contnuity test on all the switches and they were all working

Mar 19, 2009, 09:58 AM

Solenoid is about all there is left. I pulled this from the net rather than retyping myself. "Bench-testing a starter solenoid is a relatively simple procedure, and while solenoid styles vary from engine to engine, all solenoids have two large terminal studs and two small terminal studs."

Begin by disconnecting the negative battery cable from the battery. Next remove all leads from the solenoid terminal studs. There is no need to remove the solenoid from the engine. Connect an ohmmeter—calibrated on the Rx1 scale—to the two large terminal studs (1 and 2 above, in both illustrations). The ohmmeter should indicate no continuity, because no power is running through it. Replace the solenoid if any other reading is noted.

Using jumper cables, attach a 12-volt battery to the two small solenoid studs (3 and 4, above)—polarity is not important. You should hear a click as (or if) the solenoid engages, and the ohmmeter should indicate continuity. This is because the solenoid is a high-amperage switch that when energized shows a closed circuit. Replace the solenoid if any other reading is noted.

When you are finished, replace all the leads and connect the negative battery cable last."
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2009, 12:13 PM

I thought he got starter to turn by jumping at solenoid, I was thinking he meant jumping the start terminal to the Large positive, that would tell the solenoid is working, I'm thinking there is a second hot for the ignition/start, not the headlight circuit.

randy1212, did you simulat the key ate the solenoid, or did you jump the 2 largest connections(Battert and Starter)?

Mar 19, 2009, 12:20 PM

I think I am done it runs fine starting it off the solenoid maybe I can just put a start toggle switch on it? Wow this is unbelievable
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2009, 02:32 PM

If you did all test, and saw voltage leaving ignition switch in the start position, and you can provide power to solenoid start wire, then it can only be the wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid.
    Be careful about being in gear and or engaged when jumping at solenoid.
    REALLY NEED to know, are you jumping large conductors, or are you jumping to start terminal? These are important questions to determine which way to go?

Mar 19, 2009, 06:25 PM

Sorry guys I found it. I did not test the foot safety switch right. Wow I learned a lot. Here. Thanks a lot for your help I learned a lot.
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2009, 05:42 AM

Thanks for hanging in there. Many would have given up. Take Care

Mar 20, 2009, 10:23 AM

Glad this worked out for you. As I mentioned earlier the safety switches usually go bad before the ignition. The brake/clutch switch is used more than the other 2 so it makes sense to go bad first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing fan motor relay switch with upgraded switch [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I've searched online to locate a replacement fan motor relay switch for an old Fedders propane heating unit in my greenhouse. The replacement should be fairly easy to do, however the part I was needing ( RBM 84-20103-301A) was listed as obsolete and was replaced by (McQuay part #...

Connect a port on a remote switch to a secure segment on the local switch [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 Netvanta 1224R switches. On the main switch I have 3 Vlans setup. Vlan1 = main network (example IP 123.231.5.1) Vlan2 = Web Access (Example IP 69.115.851.202) Vlan3 = Secure segment (Example IP 123.231.8.1) On the remote switch I have 1 Vlan. Vlan1 = Main network (example IP...

HEAT-OFF-COOL system switch - AUTO-ON fan switch [ 1 Answers ]

From an Email: ''Dear asklabman, I am a first time house ownere & having an issue with my Honeywell T8112 Programmable Thermostat. Thermostat has two switches for the fan - AUTO FAN & FAN ON switches and three switches for thes system, COOL, HEAT & System OFF modes. Yesterday we turned ON...

HEAT-OFF-COOL system switch - AUTO-ON fan switch. [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Gurus, I am a new house owner & not used to thermostats. We have Honeywell 8112D thermostat. We recently turned ON our Fan switch (in the thermostat). Now the fan is not turning off. It is continuously running even when the system is in OFF & Fan is in AUTO mode. We tried reducing the...

Converting pull switch lights to wall switch [ 3 Answers ]

I've been struggling finding the answer to this in books and online, it seems as if it should be an easy question and something that gets done all the time. Looking for some help. My basement has several rooms and all lights are wired "hot" with pull switches from each light receptacle. When the...

View more questions Search