Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ent Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2009, 11:13 PM
    J1 Visa holder w tax treaty US-India
    I was on J1 visa for two years and worked as researcher

1) I entered in US on 15Nov 2006
    2) I left US on 13th Nov 2008

I took benefit of tax treaty for two years and filed as non-resident and didn't paid fedral taxes for 2006, 2007 and also claimed back state taxes but paid medicare and SSN

For 2008, CINTAX is determining that I am a resident alien for this year. My question is

1) What forms shd I file for fedral taxes?
    2) can I cliam back my ssn and medicare taxes? If yes, which forms to file?
    3) Because I left US within two years. Can I still file as non-resident?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 8, 2009, 01:23 PM
    1) It would be helpful if you told us which country you come from, because the tax treaty dictates whether the exemption is for two calendar years or two years from date of arrival.

2) You ARE liable for the FICA (Social Securtiy and Medicare) taxes.

3) Probably; depends on the treaty.
    spayra Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2009, 05:13 PM
    Thanks..

Its India-US treaty as mentioned in subject line.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 11, 2009, 10:15 AM
    The Indian treaty allows for 24 consecutive months, so you should have been exempt from income taxes for the entire duration of your J-1 tour.

And, yes, you can file as a non-resident alien in 2008.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

JI visa holder from INdia [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm an Indian national on J1 visa. I was not aware of the tax exemption treaty and I did not claim for federal tax withholding reimbursement in the last two years. As a result, many of my colleagues got quite a lot in tax returns than I. Now I'm in my third year of stay in the US and still on...

Can F-1 visa holder without earning be a dependent for H-1b visa holder husband? [ 10 Answers ]

I know that the question is kind of strange, but here is my situation. I am having H1b visa at present (moved from OPT to H1b last September). My wife is a student with F1 student visa (in Illinois Urbana Champaign). But she has completed her residential requirement and since last year has been...

Tax payable in US from online income in India for an H1B visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am on an H1B visa in the US. If I have additional income from online consultancy work that is being generated in India that is subject to TDS (tax deducted at source) in India, do I have to report that income to the IRS here in the US for tax purposes? Thanks

Tax treaty for JI visa holder from Hong Kong [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I study for 5 years in USA for F1 visa and plan to start another job in USA as J1 visa. My place of birth is Hong Kong. It is part of China now. Am I eligible for tax treaty and exempt from tax for 2 years? Thank you, Bill

View more questions Search