Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    log Posts: 93, Reputation: 2

Mar 17, 2009, 09:02 PM
    Alternative measures
    I live in calgary ,alberta,canada and my question is this;
    I have been charged twice (minor charges) like about 4-5 years ago,and both charges I have been given alternative measure... now would these charges still show up on a security clearance?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2009, 05:25 AM

Hello log:

Well, if you're applying at 7/Eleven, I doubt it'll show up... But, if you're trying to get hired as a cop or National Security Director, it'll show up.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2009, 06:03 AM

If a full background check is run, yes, they will show up - this has been asked and answered before. Use the search feature next to the AMHD logo.
    log Posts: 93, Reputation: 2

Mar 18, 2009, 09:57 AM

I have been hired for the city of calgary,and its pending on my security clearance ,this can lose my job if any criminal record shows up,but I have called the city police and asked this question ,they said it won't show up.. but now I'm asking this question over here just to make sure
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2009, 10:03 AM

Hello again, log:

I understand the consequences of a criminal record.

I repeat what I said above. If the city of Calgary really wants to know about your background, they'll find out. If they're just running a cursory look, then they might not.

But, I don't know what your job with the city entails. Are you going to be mowing lawns, or are you going to be handling CASH?

In either case, the cops don't know, and that's the LAST place I'd go for my legal advice.

excon
    LEGALWIZARD Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2009, 02:37 AM
    It depends on how in-depth the security check is.

Records for Alternative Measures for Adults (Diversion Programs) are not entered into the CPIC (Canadian Police Information Centre) system. The way it works is that the information related to your two previous charges are entered into the system CPIC, but since the charges were dealt with by Alternative Measures, that information was then purged from the CPIC system.

Alberta keeps track of people who have been referred into the Alternative Measures Program using a database system called "JOIN."

Also, the local police (Calgary Police) maintain their own separate records in their police files.
    Uber Member

May 15, 2009, 05:30 AM

Are you saying Calgary maintains its own records and does not send the inforamation to the nationwide (Canadian) database?

Didn't know this -

May 15, 2009, 06:33 PM

Hi Judy, only in the case of alternative measures for adults.

Calgary does send its records to CPIC, just like any other city or place... What I meant was that all *indictable* offences committed are indeed sent to the CPIC national database, whether in Calgary or not.

Initially a record of the offence is entered into CPIC, but if it so happens that the charge is dealt with through the Alternative Measures process, then the initial entries recorded pertaining to the offence in the CPIC are purged.

CPIC will indeed have records of discharges, stays, etc. as well even though technically those don't result in convictions.

People (adults) dealt with through Alternative Measures have their information stored in the JOIN system (in Alberta).

And of course, regardless of the province, the local police keep their own files also.

So essentially a security check will be made through all levels--the national database (CPIC), at the provincial level (the courts) and the records of the local police (police files).
    Uber Member

May 15, 2009, 07:01 PM
    Your question and my answer about alternative measures seems to have been pulled from the Board.

It doesn't make sense to me that an offense is "wiped" at the national level but not on the Provincial and/or local levels.

I do background checks and will have to take another look at this.

May 15, 2009, 07:13 PM

Hi Judy, my source of information was at http://www.johnhoward.ab.ca/PUB/A5.htmxxx, "Understanding Criminal Records," which states:

"Alternative Measures Programs (Diversion Programs)"

"This information is not entered into the CPIC system. Information related to charges entered but subsequently dealt with by a diversion program is purged from the CPIC system."

Also of interest is the following:

"Only criminal record information concerning indictable and hybrid offences is held by CPIC. Local or provincial police reporting systems may contain various record information relating to summary offences and provincial statutes, such as highway and traffic information. Local police services have independent systems of tracking persons with whom they have come in contact. Information entered into a local police service's system cannot be accessed by another police service unless that information is also entered into the CPIC database."

Thanks.

May 15, 2009, 07:27 PM
    Sorry, in case the link I posted previously did not work, omit the "xxx" at the end, or click on this one >> Understanding Criminal Records

Thanks.
    sanden Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2010, 10:39 AM
    Upon completion of alternative measures and they pull a CRIM check do they check off may ot maynot on you return CrIM check? This is so inportant to me to clarify.. I was told no criminal record
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2010, 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sanden View Post
    upon completion of alternative measures and they pull a CRIM check do they check off may ot maynot on you return CrIM check? This is so inportant to me to clarify..I was told no criminal record

What do you mean "may" or "may not" on your criminal record?

You don't come up clean if that is what you are asking. It is not visible to everyone, depends on who is doing the check - it IS visible for Government jobs or Government-related jobs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Alternative Measures Second Time [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Is it possible to qualify into the alternative measures program a second time if 2 years has not lapsed yet? I'm aware that the crown has made exceptions in the past for charges such as shoplifting (theft under $5000), etc. What happens if the parole (NPB) declines the program to an second...

Performance measures [ 1 Answers ]

I am the general manager of krishn discount suprmarkets having 200 employees. Now I have to establish performance measures to reward employees who are efficient,loyal and hard-workers.the performance measure must be establish for three levels of the organisaion: managerial (eg. Shop manager,...

Gold measures [ 1 Answers ]

What does DWT mean referring to gold?

Alternative Medicine to ME / CFS [ 3 Answers ]

My partner has been sick in the past with ME or other wise known as chronic fatigue syndrome and was ill in bed for weeks on end. This was a couple of years ago now, but he is starting to feel tired and run down again and I am wondering if anyone knows of any herbal medication that can help other...

View more questions Search