Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sdudinski Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2009, 06:05 PM
    Antenna for Digital Signal
    I am getting rid of cable and will be using a digital conversion box. I am looking for advice for the best outdoor antenna to buy and where to buy it. I also need advice on how to position the antenna for strongest signal.

Thank you.
    Rivethead Posts: 88, Reputation: 7

Mar 17, 2009, 08:24 PM

Basically any quality exterior antenna will work for digital signal. I'm using an original 1970's Skyliner antenna on a vintage Airstream trailer and get great signal. This site will help you further:

AntennaWeb
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2009, 08:46 PM

Sdud:

Don't go to Antenna Web. Useless info there.

Go to TV Fool - Home

From there, you can determine the antenna gain that's necessary.

We know nothing about your predicament: from rabbit ears to a 35' antenna to number of TV's and your location.

If your comfy, PMing me your address, I will distill things for you here without revealing your location to others.

I'm deep fringe and will be installing a Weingard HD8200U and a CM7777 mast mounted pre-amp. Still collecting parts. I need a U/V antenna because two stations 6 and 12 are staying on VHF.

BEST: is determined by where you live, the post transition channels. Their frequencies, transmitter power, their location relative to you, how bad you want to receive them, the number of TV's, the wire length, antenna height. Too much antenna will cause overloads.

ORIENTATION: Best determined by a compass. With the Radio Sgack box from Digital Stream, you can plug in the actual channel rather than the virtual channel to tune without scanning.

Example: Virtual channel 12.1 UHF 17; i.e. 12 broadcasts on UHF channel 17. Key in 17 and once a signal is found, the box will be tuning 12. You use a compass to orient the antenna based on the info from TVfool.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2009, 06:19 AM

Nearby station's can give problems, including FM. They do make tunable traps for strong stations. Height and a preamp will help if stations are not nearby.
    A Signal Level Meter is useful to determine maximum signal/transmitter location, and tuning traps.
    Are all stations from 1 general location, or are you in the middle of it all? May need a rotator.
    If using UHF and VHF, be sure to use UHF/VHF antenna and preamp. Don't use any of the old 500Mhz splitters.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Analog TV antenna for digital Reception? [ 1 Answers ]

Will our existing analog TV antenna work for the new digital broadcasts or should I get rid of it?

Changing from non digital thermostat to digital [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old non digital Honeywell T87F thermostat, gas burner with baseboard water heat. Can I change to a new digital Honewywell RTH230B and how? Thank you

Digital vs. Analog signal [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all - I have a brand new Samsung SyncMaster 940bw monitor with a NVidia GeForce2 MX/MX400 video card. My question is this: how do I get my monitor to run a digital signal? I have my DVI-D cable plugged in but that does not provide any signal. Yet when I plug in my analog 15 pin VGA, I get...

Antenna [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking for solution to calculate the effect of wind torque on antenna surface above telecommunication radio tower.Can anyone help me? Thanks.

View more questions Search