Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2009, 06:02 PM
    Surely being rich is better than being poor.
    "It is not what he has, nor even what he does, which directly expresses the worth of a man, but what he is."
    - Henri Frederic Amiel

Please discuss in simple terms.
    How about the rich people lists ?
    How about all the successful people ?

List what is :- "What he is!
    tonyrey Posts: 102, Reputation: 10

Mar 27, 2009, 02:33 AM
    Poverty certainly causes unhappiness if we can't afford the basic necessities of life or enjoy any luxuries but excessive riches bring their own problems: spiritual, psychological, social, physical and economic. Wealthy people are obviously the main target for criminals. They are faced with greater temptations to pride, vanity, greed, laziness, lust, isolation, selfishness and even boredom. Their possessions often become a time-consuming burden and a source of anxiety.

Aristotle believed with good reason in the happy mean. For most people there is probably an optimum level between the extremes of poverty and wealth. Our state of mind depends not so much on what we possess but on what we believe and cherish. All the wealth in the world cannot give us true love, friendship or admiration for our personal qualities. To be loved we have to be lovable - and to be lovable we have to feel compassion. But we cannot feel compassion without having suffered. Our true nobility is attained by our courage and fortitude in the face of adversity. Ironically the greatest drawback of wealth is the danger of being sheltered to a great extent from reality...

A few months ago a rich man set fire to his mansion and shot not only himself but also his wife and daughter because he believed they had nothing to live for after he had become bankrupt. He didn't bother to ask their opinion...
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2009, 02:50 PM

It's man himself who expresses the wealth of man.

What's in his heart and soul.. loyalty,honesty,kindness and moral standards.

All the riches in the world will not change what's in your heart, the kind of person you are.

You just become a man with money...
    Where as a poor man with standards is a very rich man indeed...

Society recognises a man with means and welcomes him with open arms but a poor man with moral standards will be turned away, purely on appearance.
    lighterrr Posts: 1,415, Reputation: 72
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2009, 11:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rphan View Post
    It's man himself who expresses the wealth of man.

What's in his heart and soul..loyalty,honesty,kindness and moral standards.

All the riches in the world will not change what's in your heart, the kind of person you are.

You just become a man with money....
    Where as a poor man with standards is a very rich man indeed......

Society recognises a man with means and welcomes him with open arms but a poor man with moral standards will be turned away, purely on appearance.
    very true indeed and its this type of stereotype that divides people worldwide, the riches views of the poor are pretty much the same across every culture I can think about.I believe it is the poor man with fundamental values, who cares for his fellow man is the richer person, in comparison to a rich man that holds no values. For example a poor man comes home to his family after work and he is overjoyed to see the smiles on his children's face as they see him come through the door. A rich man may have his kids @ boarding school, or may hardly be home, probably always away on business trips etc. So @ the end of the day what the poor man lacks financially he is overcompensated in so many other loving ways.
    NoLogicJustLove Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Jun 6, 2009, 07:24 PM

It is the poorest of the poor who are truly the richest of us all. They see things that we can not.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2009, 12:59 AM

What do you think about the answers that have been given here, ROLCAM?

Thanks!
    -Seven- Posts: 61, Reputation: 6

Jul 26, 2009, 05:06 AM

This is a matter of perspective. I have known people that have learned to live in complete joy and satisfaction with no money and little to no possessions. During adolescence you learn how to feel about one thing or another through your environment and peers. Most all people grow up under the impression that you are worthless or no good to yourself or socially unacceptable if you don't devote your life to "earning a living"... you are considered a "degenerate" otherwise.
    Though rich can encompass a number of things... just as success can, actually, these words can encompass ANY terms.
    nothing lasts Posts: 71, Reputation: 2

Aug 4, 2009, 09:45 AM

A rich man is nothing but a poor man with money.
    I WISH U UNDERSTAND WHAT I MEAN
    VSPrasad Posts: 108, Reputation: 10

Jan 27, 2010, 08:49 PM

Aiming to become rich is not a philosophical attitude.

The blind appear to be handicapped. But Almighty gives
    Them some extra sensitivity in some other perception
    Organ like ear or touch. Have you not observed this?

They live close to nature and enjoy all that is part of
    It. Their minds breed on what is natural and less on
    What is artificial. They are probably the nature's
    Ideal for what is living.

Property separates people and poverty joins people.
    People of poverty enjoy more close personal
    Relationships which are highly heartening. Their mutual
    Understanding as a group is incomparable. It is we who
    Are poor in such relationships.
    bulksalty Posts: 31, Reputation: 3

Feb 16, 2010, 02:37 PM

Your quote doesn't seem to be talking about the experiences of the rich, famous, or man with character, rather their intrinsic worth in his judgment.

A rich man could be good, bad, or indifferent. You can show up on the richest man in the country lists without lifting a finger if you happen to inherit it. It's also possible that one earned their wealth or it was missappropreated.

As far as fame it's too difficult to assign credit to a single person for wealth or a famous accomplishment when teams were required to reach the goal. Edison had teams of inventors, the superbowl winning QB has an Offensive Line. etc.

The only thing a man can fully control is who he is, or the contents of his character.

At the end of his life, a man is what his character and integrety are, was he honest, was he fair in dealing with others, did he care for the weak in their day of distress, and how did any of these change when no one was watching. Those things are the marks of who the man was, far more than any external accomplishment. These are the things that an individual has full control over and make better tools for evaluation than easier to see tokens.
    Rocketsurgeon Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2011, 12:32 AM
    "Con los pobres de la tierra quiero yo mi suerte echar. El arroyo de la sierra me complace mas que el mar" -Jose Marti

("With the poor people of the earth I want to share my fate. The brook of the mountains gives me more pleasure than the sea.")
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Mar 6, 2011, 03:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketsurgeon View Post
    "Con los pobres de la tierra quiero yo mi suerte echar. El arroyo de la sierra me complace mas que el mar" -Jose Marti

("With the poor people of the earth I want to share my fate. The brook of the mountains gives me more pleasure than the sea.")

Hi Rocketsurgeon,

This brings back memories. My favourite version of Gunatanamera is by the Sandpipers. Perhaps before your time.

Regards

Tut

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Diana Stalder Surely White [ 36 Answers ]

I just ordered "Surely White" lightening and whitening cream. Will someone please share their experience with this cream. Im planning on using it to even my complexion.

Are you rich? [ 3 Answers ]

If you are I would like to know how you became rich? The Problem: I would like to buy this car (Please see attached photo) I need to raise about 35 000 South African Rands or ($ 5,300 ) quickly before the car is sold to someone else! Any inspired thoughts or ideas on how to make money...

Poor Little Rich Girl [ 1 Answers ]

Hi-- I have some copies of the book "Poor Little Rich Girl" (about Barbara Hutton) which were recalled by Random House in 1984 due to mistakes in the text. Does anybody know if they are worth anything? Thanks! --Wayno

Takes the biscuit surely? [ 2 Answers ]

In a blog posting over the weekend, singer Sheryl Crow unveiled her plan to help everyone combat global warming. It involves toilet paper. I'll let Sheryl tell it in her own words: "I have spent the better part of this tour trying to come up with easy ways for us all to become a part of the...

Poor pocket rich in love mother of seven [ 1 Answers ]

Are there any government grants to start a small buss. I want to make it in this life and have a good life for my children

View more questions Search