Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tandemsforus Posts: 24, Reputation: 3

Mar 17, 2009, 04:51 PM
    Ge monogram refrigerator freezing up
    Ge monogram refrigerator help!!

I bought a Ge Monogram refrigerator (42 inch) a while back and just now tried it. It is at least 10 years old and has not run in at least 5 years.
    My problem
    When I run it, the freezer cools to around zero, then the evaporator coils freeze up,solid, the evaporator and condenser fans both run fine. The condenser low side shows 5 lbs vacuum on the gage when running. It shows around 40 lbs positive when system is off (static).
    The timer seems to work OK, the coils heat and melt the ice in the defrost mode. I thought when the condenser is in a vacuum it needs freon. But when the evaporator coils freeze up it has too much freon.
    Any thoughts or checks I can do? Could the expansion valve be clogged? Any site that can help?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2009, 06:10 PM

Have you checked out the defrost timer switch? What you are describing sounds like that switch went bad other wise the coils would not be freezing up. I doubt the system has too much freon.
    tandemsforus Posts: 24, Reputation: 3

Mar 18, 2009, 09:39 AM

Twinkiedooter
    Thanks for the answer.
    I ran a check of the defrost mode. Set the timer to defrost. The defrost mode ran for maybe a half an hour. When it finished the evaporator coils were clean, no frost whatsoever. The compressor started up and the cooling cycle began. I am guessing this is an 8 hour time cycle. Frost began by the end of the first hour. Had maybe a 1/4 inch of frost on the motor, (it was running), and noticeable frost on the evaporator coils. The freezer temp was close to zero after 2 hours give or take. By 3 hours the evaporator coils were completely iced over, no way for air to pass through. Both compressor and evaporator fans ran the entire time.
    Any guesses?
    There are 2 I am guessing temp switches on the evaporator coil. Is one to turn off the heat when the evaporator coils reach a certain temp during the defrost cycle? If so what is the other temp switch do?
    I am scratching my head a bit now...

Ps, The evaporator coil fan brings air in from the freezer up and blows the air through the coil then returns to the freezer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GE refrigerator water dispenser freezing [ 2 Answers ]

GE side by side refrigerator water dispenser freezes up. Does anyone have a simple solution or jerry rig that can be used. I understand that GE doesn't recognize this as their problem, but they do have a part that can be purchased from them that corrects the problem for a $200 plus service call...

Refrigerator freezing things and freezer barely freezing items [ 1 Answers ]

We have a Maytag MFF2557HEW, French doors on top and Freezer on bottom. We have freezer set at 7 and refrigerator set at 1. We cannot use veggie drawers because it freezes everything in them. We have to put all veggies and fruits on the shelves. Ice cream remains soft in the freezer, but meats...

Old GE Monogram Refrigerator [ 5 Answers ]

The freezer has not been working well. A few weeks ago I noticed that food in the bottom was not as frozen as the top. It's getting worse and half of my food is defrosted. Is there anything I should check before calling a repair service? Thanks!

Freezer NOT freezing. Refrigerator is OK. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Magic Chef refrigerator/freezer CTN1911GEW. The refrigerator on the bottom is at the correct temperature. But the freezer at the top is defrosting the food. The fan in the freezer is working. How can I get my freezer to work right again? Please advise. Many thanks Michel

Refrigerator freezing things but set low as it can go [ 2 Answers ]

Recently obtained a used refrigerator and I had to take the doors off to fit it through the house door. Putting them back on there's still a gap in the refrigerator door that on my own has been hard to fix. Meanwhile even set as low as it can go, things still keep freezing. I'm not sure if it's...

View more questions Search