Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NIR227 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2009, 03:44 PM
    Husband on H1 & Wife on OPT to H1
    Hi,

Currently, I am on H1 and got married in 2008. My wife was on OPT from Jan 08 to Sep 08 and then changed her status to H1 from Oct 08. It will be the first tax return together :), so please help!!!

1) Which is better / simpler - filing jointly or separately?
    2) If separately, which form should I use for my wife (1040NR - ?)
    3) We are from India - what kind of exemption will my wife get based on US-India treaty?
    4) Will it simpler to file electronically or via paper?

Thank you!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 18, 2009, 02:07 AM

How did you file your 2007 tax returns?
    NIR227 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 02:25 PM

In 2007, I filed form 1040A
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 19, 2009, 09:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NIR227 View Post
    Hi,

Currently, I am on H1 and got married in 2008. My wife was on OPT from Jan 08 to Sep 08 and then changed her status to H1 from Oct 08. It will be the first tax return together :), so please help!!!

1) Which is better / simpler - filing jointly or separately?
    2) If separately, which form should I use for my wife (1040NR - ?)
    3) We are from India - what kind of exemption will my wife get based on US-India treaty?
    4) Will it simpler to file electronically or via paper?

Thank you!
    1. Work out both ways and then decide.
    2. yes, nonresident tax return and you will file resident return as married filing separately.
    3. Yes, if she files nonresident tax return.
    4. You can efile. Your wife must file paper return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B Husband, Husband and Wife overseas, LayOff [ 9 Answers ]

I was on a H1B visa and working in the US sine June 2007. The company that I was working for downsized and I was laid off from there on 31st Oct 2008. Subsequently since I was unable to find employment I decided to move back home at the end of November. I got married in Dec 2008. By that time my...

Wife VS. Husband [ 1 Answers ]

A couple drove down a country road for several miles, not saying a word. An earlier discussion had led to an argument andneither of them wanted to concede their position. As they passed a barnyard of mules, goats, and pigs, the husband asked sarcastically, "Relatives of yours?" "Yep," the wife...

Wife on dependent visa and husband dies, can wife stay in UK? [ 1 Answers ]

Husband worked in UK for 7 yrs and wife has worked here about 5. Wife is on dependent visa. Husband got seriously ill and died recently. Is wife allowed to still stay in UK? What should she do to be able to stay? Can she apply for permanent residence? Husband is buried to UK and wife would like to...

F1 wife, F2-F1 Husband [ 4 Answers ]

Hey there, I appreciate your help in answering my question. I am an F1 student working as a Grad assistant. My husband who was on F2 in 2006 changed his status to F1 in 2007 but has not earned income and paid tuition and fees till March. From April he started his Grad assistantship too. Now I...

Bi-polar, infertile husband, gives up on wife and life. (by wife) [ 17 Answers ]

I got married nearly 4 years ago. Recently I found out that my husband is bi-polar and has pathological lying disorder. Just before that. We took was out $27,000 for IVF treatment, and long story short he stopped working and would not get a job, created debt, lied about it etc. While I was going...

View more questions Search