Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kev-Cali Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2009, 03:04 PM
    Moving to an Apt. Complex, they said that they are removing the Pet Odor?
    Greetings,

I have put down a deposit (lease not yet signed, until tomorrow, hopefully) on an apartment in a large complex.

My move in day is scheduled for tomorrow. I still have not actually seen the apartment that I am moving into. I chose by floor plan, building location, view, etc.

Today, I went to see if I could take a peek but they said that the apartment is still not ready and that "they are removing the pet odor".

I somewhat got worried. I really want a clean smelling place!

Should I be concerned? Will they use bad chemicals etc? If it smells okay tomorrow, could it just be a temporary cover up?
    Will the smell be gone period?

I wonder...
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 19, 2009, 08:17 AM

I would be concerned since "pet odor" can be many things. If this is cat urine in carpet there will be no perfect fix short of recarpeting, including padding. Do not sign the lease until you have inspected the property thoroughly and not just for odors.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 19, 2009, 08:26 AM

Well, on the one hand, they are making an effort to present you with a clean smelling unit. So that should make you feel good.

But ball is right, don't sign the lease or sign it but have an addendum that says pending inspection of the premises. This gives you an out if there is a problem with the unit.

Mar 19, 2009, 10:18 AM

Thanks for your help! I inspected the unit yesterday and if they hadn't mentioned the pet odor issue, I would have never known honestly.

I opened the door and there was a citrus smell of cleanliness throughout the apt.
    I signed the lease but while moving in I notices some other issues, like rust stains in the sink and toilet that I want to bring up today. I am hoping that they will fix this, now that I have already signed.

Mar 19, 2009, 10:59 AM

Good luck

Mar 26, 2009, 11:47 AM

I thought that it would be nice to inform everyone of what happened here:

Day 1 & Day 2 in the apartment, smelled great and 'orangy'.

Day 3, the orange smell went away and the entire apartment was left with a terrible odor or wet dog, very bad. I had some friends over and every one of them couldn't stop mentioning how bad it smelled.

I was lucky and got switched to a newly remodeled unit. But for all those moving into a new apartment, BEWARE, ask if there were pets before, and if there were pets, be sure to wait a few days after the shampooing of the carpet to determine whether its worth moving into!

Mar 26, 2009, 02:15 PM

That's why I said good luck. I suspected after a few days the ordr might become apparent. I'm glad they moved you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Removing Moth Ball odor from a storage trunk [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old storage trunk that I would like to keep all my blankets in. Unfortunately, the previous owner used moth balls in it, and I CANNOT remove the smell. I have tried lemon juice, lots of febreeze and have been "airing it out" for weeks. When I shut the lid to see if it worked, it...

Complex numbers [ 1 Answers ]

Addition and multiplication of complex numbers??

Removing faucet handle after removing screw on top [ 7 Answers ]

My hot water is leaking.. I remove the top screw on the handle; the handle won`t come off.. should I try and pry it off or is there another screw somewhere that I don`t know about? This is a two handle-one spout faucet.

A complex sentence [ 1 Answers ]

Should only be preceded by another complex sentence. Should only be followed by another complex sentence. Has more than one phrase. Has only one phrase.

2 complex [ 4 Answers ]

ok,here's my delima. I went out with my boyfriend last year and we broke up during the summer for my family issues. I tried to forget about him and move on. well when school started, a new student came to my neighborhood and we became friends. she started to like him and I told her go head b/c i...

View more questions Search