Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kebly20 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2009, 02:58 PM
    Can I adopt or take custody of my younger sibling?
    My younger brother(16) does not get along with my stepfather. This is mainly because my stepfather flat out just doesn't like him. I am 18 wanting to move out as well. Is there anyway I could adopt him or take custody?
    AlpineAnnie Posts: 77, Reputation: 13

Mar 18, 2009, 04:15 AM
    Yes and no, depending on the circumstances. Where is your mother in all this? What about your father (not the step-father)? With the agreement of both of your parents, it is possible to get a guardianship done through the courts. Without the agreement of the court it's still possible to move out and have your brother live with you and have a power of attorney done up. If you are responsible and financially able, why not speak to both of your parents about moving out and having your brother live with you? You could enlist their help with guidelines/curfews/rules/chores, etc. that your brother needs and that you may not be prepared for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to get custody of younger sibling. [ 5 Answers ]

Ok my question is I am 19 years old almost 20 and I have to baby sister one which is now in foster care I was in the system my whole life and I hated it I want my youngest sister to have a lot better life than what I did and now I need some help trying to figure out how to get her she lives in...

Sibling custody [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was put in foster care, his mom had another child about 4 years ago and is going down the same path she did before, I was wondering if there is anything we would be able to do to get his 4 yeard old brother to come live with us? We have a stable living condition he is in the army and I...

Optaing custody of a younger sibling that is adopted. [ 1 Answers ]

My siblings and myself were in foster home for many years and then my siblings got adopted. I am now twenty years old and I'm concerned about my younger sister. She lives in Hawaii and I now live in California. She does not like her adopted family and her parents are having a hard time with her....

Custody of a sibling [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, so my fiancée is supposed to be moving to KY and attending NKU college with me, however before he was able to move he had court dates with his family because his step father hit his mother and his little sister after his sister had gone through a surgical procedure on her head for lumps on her...

Older teens with bad influence on younger sibling [ 1 Answers ]

How old does a teen have to be in the state of Tn before you can sugest she leave the nest. I have an 18 year old who will be 19 in December, did not finish school but took the GED can not hold a job for more than a few weeks, dresses as weird as can be, pierces her face and other places we won't...

View more questions Search