Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    h_leann_b Posts: 247, Reputation: 35

Mar 17, 2009, 10:05 AM
    Toner. Yellow/orange hair
    Recently I dyed my hair red(from blonde) It turned out a really pretty color, but the red ended up only staying in the roots, and the rest turned a light brown color. So... I decided to go back blonde. I used a bleach, and put it on my roots for about half hour, then sprad the bleach out to the ends.

I left a shadow box, so my hair is dark still underneath. My hair right now is more orange or mac n' cheese yellow if that makes sense.

So my questions are as follows:
    1. Can I use a blonde dye over the bleached now that it is light, or will it not cover the orange.
    2. If it can't cover the orange, I have heard purple or blue toners. Where can I buy them? I was at Sally's Beauty supply the other day and if they had it I missed it.
    3. I want to do this myself, I don't have the time or money to go and get it professionally done.

Thanks!:D
    BlackRose24 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2009, 02:21 PM

Well... my thing is that you need to go to a salom and ask tgem anout your hair
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2009, 05:28 PM
    So my questions are as follows:
    1. Can I use a blonde dye over the bleached now that it is light, or will it not cover the orange.
    2. If it can't cover the orange, I have heard purple or blue toners. Where can I buy them? I was at Sally's Beauty supply the other day and if they had it I missed it.
    1. You can use a blonde dye, but don't expect to get it any lighter. It won't do that, but it will tone what you have now. I would have recommended color remover first, but it's now too late for that. You may have to use a darker blonde dye (ash is recommended) to get rid of the orange -- depending on how much there is.

2. Violet toners are available at Sally Beauty, but if your hair isn't at the "pale yellow" stage, they won't work -- simply because there's not enough violet pigment to counteract the orange.
    Saline_Ritual Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2012, 10:56 PM
    You need to get Unred by Ardell. They sell them in little packets at Sally's for 99 cents, and they counteract the brassiness in dyed hair. Mix it with the bleach, and leave it off your roots because you've over bleached them. I suggest getting Ion Color Brilliance the 16oz, and the 32oz liquid activator by Salon Care. For toner, I suggest getting the Generic Value Product. It's the same ingredients as Clariol Shimmering Lights, but it's much more, at a more convient price. This is also at Sally's. About the bleach, this is a foam, so you want to make sure you don't skip out if you need a second batch. This is because it only works when it's wet, so if it's dry-- it's only harming your hair more than bleaching it. After doing everything, I suggest getting a reconstructioning packet. This is just a cream that Sally Beauty sells for cheap, and it helps restructure your hair. Just don't leave it in longer than recommended, or it'll reverse. If you want to leave something in longer after reconstructioning, get Nourish and Revilatize conditioner by Aveeno. If you happen to recolor your hair again, semi permanent or not (unless it's blonde or toned to a silver/white, then it doesn't matter) I suggest getting Tresemme Colorstay shampoo and conditioner. I also suggest keeping your hair dry until you go to wash it, and when you wash it-- do this is cold water. Not too cold, but cold enough so half of your color doesn't run down the drain in one shower. This helps from fading.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Violet toner pulling orange/red tones [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering how violet neutralizes orange tones? It is my understanding from the color wheel violet neutralizes yellow tones and blue neutralizes orange tones. And at best a blue/violet toner will neutralize orange/yellow tones. Is it possible that if you do use a violet toner on orange the red...

Burners are burning yellow/orange [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Goodman GMP100-4 I had some problems with the upper limit switch, replaced that, but now it keeps getting thrown, When I set down and watched the furnace go through its steps I first noticed that the form of the burn was a little off, I did see a little dust and stuff in and around the...

Dyed hair last night & now I have pumpkin orange what can I do to get the orange out [ 4 Answers ]

Dyed my hair last night and now have pumpkin orange hair how can I get the orange out?

I have bleached, damaged hair with yellow/orange tint [ 1 Answers ]

I have treated my hair with bleach and a high lift color. My hair is sooooo white with a yellow tone that I want to tone it down A LOT by adding a darker blonde toner. Will adding the toner to my already damaged hair damage it more? 20 hours ago - 1 week left to answer. Also, any ideas as to...

View more questions Search