Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gingerrogers77 Posts: 54, Reputation: 3

Mar 17, 2009, 09:59 AM
    Carpet Versus Tile In A Home!
    Recently, we have been researching the Florida area for houses! What our biggest concern is what flooring would better suit a house! Should carpet be placed in the bedrooms? Is tile throughout a house the best way to go?

We do want to keep the costs down but we were thinking along the longevity line and where our money would be better used/saved in housing expenses (heat/air)!

Also, what recommendations would you give as far as the better flooring places to trust? What prices should we see and which one's should we dismiss? Is installation easy for non-commercial people, etc...

Thanks for your time in this matter!

God Bless You All! :)
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2009, 05:38 PM

A lot of questions here. I prefer tile in the kitchen/bathroom/ dining area. Carpet in the living room and bedrooms.

Is this a slab house which its most likely from the Geo but just checking.

Tile can be a DYI if you have the skill level and good info to install.

I'm in Pa and no knowing your prices on materials and labor there.

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Mar 17, 2009, 08:03 PM
    There is no question tile on all the floors is best, especially when you're located in a warm climate. Accent with area rugs as you desire.

There is a huge selection of tiles and people that want to install them for you down there. Florida is known as the #1 place to get a bad tile job. First, there are many cheap laborers, and so the price they charge is very low. Much of the time the quality shows just by looking at the installation. Often you can not see the bad installation because the poor quality is in the method, technique and lack of proper preparation.

The other problem is that many residence there are older and unwilling to spend the amount of money to get a decent installation. I would be careful and try to find a licensed tile setter that specializes in ceramic tile. Ask for details on what setting products he will use. Have them tell you if, and if so, what isolation membrane they will use on the slab, under the tiles. Will they install expansion joints? etc.

Jaz
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2009, 10:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    There is a huge selection of tiles and people that want to install them for you down there. Florida is known as the #1 place to get a bad tile job
    So are too many other parts of the U.S. Looking like other countries bad slap it building practices. It may work where they come from but not here. We aren't perfect but ouch!

Fired enough so called "I'm a constructo worker." maybe in there country but doesn't fly well here.

gingerrogers77 Pay heed to Jazzmans advice

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    gingerrogers77 Posts: 54, Reputation: 3

Mar 18, 2009, 04:18 AM
    The House is Concrete Block.
    Yes, we have started to research and apparently carpet if preferred in bedrooms! Our allergies might not though! Home Depot is having an enormous sale on carpet installation for $139 for the entire house or whatever rooms are needed! We averaged that carpet would cost us 3 times less than tile. Although, my opinion is tile is the best deal and ultimately lasts "forever" our budget might call for carpet. We did think about going with a laborer but then again the work is not insured and that just wouldn't benefit us in the long run!

A friend stated that laminate is in between carpet and tile in prices and is a bit nicer! I do know some friends who have laminate/hardwood floors and if kids/pets are involved it just seems like a lot of upkeep!

Thanks for all your wonderful answers! :D
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 18, 2009, 07:40 AM

Hey Ginger, you can keep adding comments onto your origianl post, that way every reader will see the story unfold. I'll see if I can get this moved to be with your other posts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carpet to Tile transition [ 10 Answers ]

I have the tile intalled and will be installing the carpet up to it. The border will be 11 feet long and runs across part of my basement from wall to wall. I would like to just butt the carpet up to the tile and tuck it in without using threshold which would visually separate the two areas. My...

Laminate tile transition to carpet [ 1 Answers ]

I have replaced the bathroom laminate tiles and need to transition to the carpet. The transition is needs to be pliable as it is round. Is there a product that can make the transition but is bendable?

Transition Strip from Carpet to Tile [ 1 Answers ]

We have laid ceramic floor tiles next to carpet but the tiles are about 10mm higher and we would like to put a transition strip between them... does anyone know if it is possible to get these?

Tile under carpet? [ 2 Answers ]

The previous owners of my townhome were big into tile. Master bedroom has that multicolored slate looking tile. My tile guy was amazed (retiled a bathroom floor for me) - said he'd never seen that in a bedroom before. In this room, I've got area rugs to keep my feet warm! Truth be told, it...

Transition between tile & carpet [ 5 Answers ]

I'm laying tile in my bathroom where there used to be linoleum. The floor butts to carpeting and I've been told I should use a metal strip between the two surfaces. I bought the strip and have cut it to fit but my question is how do I adhere it down? It looks like I could screw it down or...

View more questions Search