Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tugela Posts: 66, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2006, 04:45 AM
    Slow Close Down
    My computer takes ages to close down and I don't know why
    Also, when I am on a page, and I open another page, it takes time to open, or it gives me an error "page cannot be displayed"... any ideas
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 31, 2006, 04:49 AM
    Thanks for posting this as a question, least this way you get all of us having a go at it.

As has already been mentioned here's a list of things to keep your machine running well.

Have you made sure all your drivers and patches are up to date ?
    Worth try are some other anti spyware/virus apps and some system maintenance.
    (I'm going to assume that you are using XP even tho' you didn't mention.
    Most of these steps will work with any Operating System)

Here's some simple steps for you to take.
    1/ Remove temp files and other rubbish form your system, either with inbuilt Disc Clean up or CCleaner.
    (Disc clean up; open my computer > right click your C: drive > properties > Disc clean up button on general tab. Let it run and select everything)
    2/ Defrag; open my computer > right click your C: drive > properties > Tools tab > Defragament now button.
    3/ Error checking; open my computer > right click your C: drive > properties > Tools tab > Top button > check now. Check BOTH boxes, OK the error message and reboot.
    4/ Page file; Right click 'my computer' > properties > advanced tab > Performance settings button > advanced tab > Virtual memory (near the bottom). To make things easier for you select System managed size > click set > then OK's all the way out again. (I suggest 'system managed' as there is no consensus on min and max sizes to set)
    5/ To make sure everything is running fine also run both anti virus and anti spyware apps (make sure that they are updated first ;)) (AVG is good and free AV)
    (A couple of good removal tools are Spybot and Adaware)

ALso an on line virus and spyware scanner is Trend Housecall

I know you've already scanned but never hurt to be 110% sure ;)

That'll do for starters, keep you going a while.
    If you culd let us know the system specs there maybe some others bits we can try.
    Tugela Posts: 66, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2006, 04:52 AM
    Thanks will do that and let you know... and yes I am running XP

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas line & dryer vent pipe - how close is too close? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm rerouting the gas dryer vent piping so that it will inside the adjoining stud wall. At the top of the wall the vertical exhaust pipe will be within an inch or two of the horizontal running copper gas supply line. Question - is there a minimum distance that the metal dryer exhaust pipe must...

Flapper will not close properly [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: Hi, it appears that there is a lot of good plumbing advice here. Here's my problem. I have had problems with the flush valve on my 3.5 gallon one-piece Crane toilet for about the past month. I have replaced the old flapper, a white plastic frame with a cup on one end and a flapper on...

Can I close one account? [ 5 Answers ]

I have 2 retirement 401k accounts. (one of my companies was bought out by the other)I would like to close 1 of them out and put the money into a down on property in which to live. How much in penalties will this cost me % wise.

Will they ever close up? [ 4 Answers ]

Currently, I have 7 piercings in my ears. I have my first ones done when I was 8 and they were crooked (they never closed up from me poking earrings through them), so I had them re-pierced at 10 and they are also crooked. My second ones were pierced at 12 and one of those is crooked, and my third...

Am I close? [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to understand this question and a few others, this is my attempt, am I close or way off base? Thanks for your help in advance! Question 3 Prepare year end adjusting entries for each of the following: 1. Office supplies had a balance of $84 on Jan 1, purchases debited to office supplies...

View more questions Search