Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mclarko Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2006, 03:36 AM
    Lost Data
    My PC (it crashed) used to access files from a networked computer. This networked computer also died a few months back, but since I had opted to cache all the files from this networked PC there was no problem.

I did however continue to access files from this cache, but last week my PC crashed.

Although I have recovered all data, I have no idea where these cached files are stored. Doing a search for them does not reveal anything. I remember there was a "virtual" file path assigned to them (J:\MyDocs\.. ) but there was certainly no such folder mapped in Windows Explorer.

Can any one help here?

Rgds

Malco
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2006, 03:39 AM
    I'm no guru on this; just sharing what I've experienced with file recovery:

Many times after recovery the files/folders are renamed. Do a search on your computer for files modified within the period that you did the recovery, then look for oddly named files and folders.

... and hang tight; there are several computer gurus on this site who can probably add more.

Aug 31, 2006, 03:48 AM
    The HD with cached offline files I have lost, is still totally accessible and runs as slave on new PC.

Im looking for a .xls file but nothing comes up from a search of entire HD, but this is no surprise since the offline files still had the file path of the original networked PC (J:\MyDocs\... )

Malco
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Aug 31, 2006, 04:44 AM
    The local copy of the cached files is %systemroot%\csc, to see this folder you have to stop hiding protected operating system files!

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;216581

"You can use Windows 2000 to make mapped drives available offline by caching local copies of the files in these drives. By default, the cached copies of these files are stored on the system drive in the %systemroot%\csc hidden folder."

Aug 31, 2006, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by StuMegu
    The local copy of the cached files is %systemroot%\csc, to see this folder you have to stop hiding protected operating system files!

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;216581

"You can use Windows 2000 to make mapped drives available offline by caching local copies of the files in these drives. By default, the cached copies of these files are stored on the system drive in the %systemroot%\csc hidden folder."
    Ah yes. They are there! Buuut... I have hundreds of files with no extensions and unintellibable file names.

Any way to get my PC to read contents of this CSC dir like my old PC did?

Thanks

Malco
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Aug 31, 2006, 11:48 AM
    Backup all your current new offline files. Backup the old CSC folder on the old hard drive. Try moving the location of the offline files to your old hard drive location. It might delete the existing contents or it might read them for you. You could also try copying the contents of the old CSC folder into the new one on your C Drive.

Again, make sure you have a good backup before starting this as it could all go very wrong!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Data entry or data processing from home. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello from Florida, My name is Don and I am looking for a free data entry from home website that I can find. It is not easy to find! Please help!

I lost my data on my extended partition [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I need somebody to help me recover my data from a backup. The problem is this: Before installing Windows 2000, I made two partitions on my hard drive A primary partition "C:"in which I installed the opearting system And a logical "extended" partition"D:" in which I saved all my...

Data types [ 4 Answers ]

A friend in the Wondir forum wants to know what data types mean, is there a simple explanation? Or should I refer him to the Princeton knowledge base? Thanks for your help.

Clearing old data [ 4 Answers ]

When filling out forms for contests etc. My PC recalls previously entered email addresses when clicking in the email field. Is there a way to remove old or inaccurate email entries that drop down in the field. Xp home

View more questions Search