Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    woziekaos Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2009, 10:55 PM
    What is a good way to potty train a St. Bernard Puppy
    I have just bought a St. Bernard (6 week old) puppy. What is a good way to train the dog to go potty outside and not pee when just coming out of kennel or after I have let the pup outside already and then after letting pup back in he pee's the minute on entry?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 16, 2009, 11:12 PM

I'm surprised you aren't prepared, that you haven't been reading up on the care of a puppy.

Google "puppy training" -- lots of informtioin on Internet, but be careful. Some of it is incorrect. Members here on Ask Me Help Desk who own dogs will be able to give good advice. Here is some info (meanwhile) from http://www.caninecrib.com/dog/traini...-training.asp:

Your puppy should be at least eight weeks old. Any younger, and you will find that you will need a great deal of patience working with him. He will be in separation anxiety. You want to set up an open bed with lots of soft padding. Spread newspaper or puppy pads on the floor for his doggy mistakes.

Puppy training does not mean scolding your puppy when you see him peeing on the floor. Don't take his nose and rub it in his waste telling him no. That ends up creating a confused puppy. He just followed what nature told him to do, and now you are telling him that this is something bad. He won't understand. Proper puppy training method would be if you see him peeing or pooping on the floor let him finish then take a cloth and wipe it up. Wipe the cloth on the newspaper or the puppy pads to create a scent post. This will guide him the next time he has to go.

After you feed him wait 3 minutes, then carry him outside to do his business. Watch him carefully and when he goes to pee say loudly “(his name) Go Potty!” He'll eventually pee on command if you keep this routine up. After he finishes, play with him. Say his name over and over and run with him. He needs the activity level with you as badly as you need the interaction with him. Establish yourself as Alpha from the very beginning. Yes, puppy training involves play and lots of it!
    woziekaos Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2009, 11:16 PM
    Thank you for the reply and will take your advise and work with him on it any other questions I will send message again Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to potty train a zu to go outside? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 month old zu that goes on the pad when he is in a confined area indoors, but when I take him outside he does not go. What can I do?

3 yr old won't potty train [ 6 Answers ]

HI, I have a 3 year old son as well as a 9 month old son and a 10 year old daughter. I have been having a very difficult time trying to train him to go on the potty. I think I have tried about every pull up out there, even the one that goes cold when he goes, but all he did was laugh that it went...

Trying to potty train [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a miniature dachsund for my son. The lady who had him said that she had started potty training him until she got hurt and could not tend to him anymore. He is 9 weeks old and I have bought the potty pads for him. I have put the potty pad out and noticed that he will pee on the pad...

Potty Train 21mths. [ 5 Answers ]

Ok... back history... my daughter is almost 21mths now and seems interested in using the potty. Problem is she won't take off her diaper. When she was about 14-15 months she use to take off her diaper and I would scold her for it and so she stopped and that was the end of it. But now that she wants...

How do I potty train my 9 month old cat? [ 2 Answers ]

My 9 month old cat potty's on everything! He knows how to use a litter box but I want him to go outside so I don't have a stinky litter box. So I put him outside after he eats and when I let him in he pottys on something. And I know he goes outside because lately he has been outside most of the...

View more questions Search