Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    acissejeus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2009, 04:31 PM
    How long do u have to wait before fileing abandonment charges in TN
    My brother had weekends with his kids until the day there mother dropped them off and said she wouldn't be back. When they arrived they had not changed there close or bathed in days. This being known by us questioning them. They had spent the last week in a hotel room with only popcorn to eat and being left alone in the room while " there mom was in the next room with a man". Since, they have been in school and in a much better place. My brother has just started a better job to better provide for them but at this time hasn't been able to save enough money for a lawyer to apply for custody or child support. We have talked to child protective services and they have decided to disregard our concerns about the condition of the girls when they came. I would like to know how long we have to wait to file abandonment charges? The well being of these girls is at stake if she decides to come back and take them, (which we were told she can do at anytime at the school if we have not filed custody.) Please Help?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 16, 2009, 05:30 PM

The answer is never. Abandonment is a criminal offense that occurs when a child is left totally without supervision. That's not the case here. So forget that part.

While its better to have a lawyer, its not 100% necessary. Especially in this case. Your brother should go to your local Family Court and ask what forms he needs to file to request sole custody. After he files, he will have to make an effort to contact the mother and let her know about the action.

If she can't be contacted or declines to show up or fight it, then the court will award him custody. The only time he will need an attorney is if she hires her own to fight his getting custody.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 16, 2009, 07:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    The answer is never. Abandonment is a criminal offense that occurs when a child is left totally without supervision. That's not the case here. So forget that part.

While its better to have a lawyer, its not 100% necessary. Especially in this case. Your brother should go to your local Family Court and ask what forms he needs to file to request sole custody. After he files, he will have to make an effort to contact the mother and let her know about the action.

If she can't be contacted or declines to show up or fight it, then the court will award him custody. The only time he will need an attorney is if she hires her own to fight his getting custody.
    The only thing I would add is that you might want to request an emergency hearing for custody since time is of the essence.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 16, 2009, 07:23 PM

There are different types, most of the criminal issus involve leaving them at the mall or gas station and just driving away.

And depending on their ages, the courts may not view leaving them in a hotel for short periods completely bad. In fact I have seen cases where the father used this as evidnece and the judge decided he needed to pay more child support so they could have a sitter.
    I have seen cases where the mother bought men home for money while the kids where in the front room watching TV, and she keep custody

Fair and right are not two things you will find in court, legal and following the ruling of the court.

So if she droped them off with father, and it has been a month or two, often the court will rule and give him custody,

But you will have to get an attorney, and the courts will look at also , is he current with child support, him being one payment late goes against him big time often in the courts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abandonment charges [ 4 Answers ]

How long does a parent have to be gone before you can file abandonment charges?

How can she press abandonment charges? [ 2 Answers ]

My brother received divorce papers in the mail. He has been separated from her for little over a year. She is trying to press abandonment charges on him. He has tried to contact her and her mom several times. She has changed her cell phone number 3 times. Told him he wasn't allowed at her house. I...

How long can you wait to press charges on a theft a household? [ 5 Answers ]

I really need to know how long you could wait to press charges on someone that I know who broke into a house and stole stuff.

How long do I have to wait to file child abandonment charges? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in the state of GA. And I have full custody of my 3 year old son. My ex-husband hasn't seen his son in over a month, he hasn't even called to see how he is doing. I'm trying to find out how long I have to wait to file child abandonment charges, and how I would get the right court papers to...

View more questions Search