Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wcui Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2009, 12:34 PM
    What's the tax obligation for e-3 visa holder working in New York
    Hi, I'm working in New York and will be arriving with an E-3 visa status, what is the tax obligation like? City tax, state tax and income tax? What are the treatments on my foerign assests that's earning me an income outside of U.S, am I subject of global tax? Tks
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 17, 2009, 02:21 AM

Your E-3 income is subject to SS tax, Medicare tax, and income taxes.
    Depending upon when you entered the U.S. you will file nonresident return, dual status return or resident return for the first year. Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Substantial Presence Test

If you are filing resident return, then you must disclose your worldwide income. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can F-1 visa holder without earning be a dependent for H-1b visa holder husband? [ 10 Answers ]

I know that the question is kind of strange, but here is my situation. I am having H1b visa at present (moved from OPT to H1b last September). My wife is a student with F1 student visa (in Illinois Urbana Champaign). But she has completed her residential requirement and since last year has been...

Taxes for a L2 visa holder working with an EAD [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My wife is currently on a L2 visa and working with an EAD in the state of Texas, her employer withholds federal income tax, social security and medicare taxes. Is it a law that all the above taxes should be deducted for her or is it possible to remove the deductions? Thanks Navin

Living in CT and working in NYC and Tax obligation [ 10 Answers ]

:confused: Hello, Can someone please help me with these questions: I live in CT and work in NY city. What are my tax obligations here? Is it true that I will have to pay, NY state tax, NY city tax as well as CT state taxes, but since I am living in CT, I will get back the NY State and...

Tax obligation to New York State [ 1 Answers ]

I reside and work full time in Maine with the Federal Government. I am now working in New York for six months on a temporary detail, 4 days there in a hotel and 3 days back home. What will my tax obligation be to New York State, if any?

New York city tax refund for H1b visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been living in New York city for 2 and half years and am currently holding an H1B visa. I filed my last 2 tax returns as a non resident for New York, and was able to get a full refund of my New York city tax. My question is I'm not sure if I can still file as non resident and get...

View more questions Search