Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Trishala Raj Posts: 95, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2009, 10:20 AM
    How do I file
    I came to US in 2007 on H1 B visa. I have an SSN. I got married in 2008 Dec 22nd. My spouse came to US only on Jan 8th 2009. So

Do I file MFJ or MFS? I thought that I had to fill out the W7 form for my spouses ITIN and attach it to my fedral return and mail my return to Austin, Texas.

My tax preparer tells me that I should file MFS as my wife was not in US in 2008 and came here only in 2009.

Please give me a reply ASAP.

Thanks in advance
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 16, 2009, 11:40 AM

You can file joint return as residents. Attach W7 (ITIN application) with your tax return. You must both declare your worldwide income for 2008. Read about H1-B tax filing: Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Visas
    Trishala Raj Posts: 95, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2009, 02:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    You can file joint return as residents. Attach W7 (ITIN application) with your tax return. You must both declare your worldwide income for 2008. Read about H1-B tax filing: Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Visas
    Mukat, Thanks for your reply. One more doubt.

Should I attach a statement with my return declaring that one spouse is a non resident alien and the other spouse a US resident and that we choose to be US resident for the entire tax year. (PUB 519 page 10)

Thanks in advance.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 17, 2009, 02:06 AM

Yes, attach the statement. Also both of you must report worldwide income for 2008. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Forgot to file the Form 8843 for 2007. Can I still file it? [ 7 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I think I need to clarify the question about this. I was in the US from July 2006 to July 2007 with F-1 student visa. I again came back to the U.S. in August 2008 with J-1 trainee visa. I started to prepare for the tax return document (but actually I only need to pay the income...

Married file file single or head of house [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, I hate one of the national tax chains, they always show me oweing when I really get money back but due to some situations out of my control I am forced to use one. This is what I was told, When filing, we were gong to file, either married filing single or a head of household for...

H4 Visa: 2007 Tax Filing Status - To file or Not to File [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H4 from 2006. Filed tax for 2006 using ITN with my spouse(H1) as Joint Return. My spouse wants to do Married filing Separately FOR 2007. My question is for 2007, 1) Do I need to file a separate return in spite of lack of income(H4) ? 2) Or do I just leave it as such and not file at...

File W-7 form without tax return and why to file as a resident alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I came to USA in August 2004 on F1 Visa. I graduated and change status to H1b visa from October 2007. Now, I got married and my hasband came to USA on January 2008 on H4 visa. I have my brothers whom I can claim as they have green card and not earning anything. I will have to wait till May 2008...

Can a Video file be converted to a understandable text file [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Can you please let me know if a video file be converted to some readable text file. For example, if we read the text file, we should understand what the video shows and vice versa. Is there any such conversion possible. Please help me in this issue as early as possible.

View more questions Search