Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Mar 16, 2009, 09:42 AM
    What do you think
    I want to get the opinion of you good people on something that happened at work this morning. I work with a very large company with a very diverse population. On our team there are many different ages and ability levels. We send out daily communication and this morning after a meeting, someone was in charge of the minutes for the day. It happens to be an team mates birthday and she is out of the office but he thought it would be appropriate to wish her birthday wishes anyway. So when he sent out the email to let people know that the minutes were updated. He attached the picture that I have attached here and said at the bottom even though she is out I found this picture of her 5th birthday I thought everyone would enjoy...

AMHD... What is your opinion on this action
    Attached Images

spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2009, 09:51 AM

I assume that is not a real picture of her fifth birthday since it looks like the your adopted on the cake is photo shopped. If someone did that to me I wouldn't care I would get a good laugh out of it. But I am sure this will make some people mad.
    neverme Posts: 1,430, Reputation: 270
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2009, 10:10 AM

I actually think the photo is quite funny... but I have quite a dark sense of humour.

I hope that she takes it well because this could cause a lot of hassle for the person that posted it, if not.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2009, 10:18 AM
    That would be funny within your select group of close friends but probably not appropriate for a company-wide email.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2009, 10:34 AM

Very poor taste and whoever did it is a moron.
    neverme Posts: 1,430, Reputation: 270
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2009, 10:40 AM

I agree it may not be for public consumption.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2009, 01:38 PM

Seems a little strange to me and I don't know why anyone would find the "you're adopted" writing to be funny.

And I agree - photoshop and bad taste.

Just the photo of the girl - I'd be amused. Photo with the cake, not amused.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Mar 16, 2009, 02:32 PM

Thanks for your comments. I guess as I received it in my email inbox among all the important documents etc. and to update us that the minutes were complete. I just found it offensive as an adoptee. Were I get that it was meant to be humourious and not hurtful, I found it so disturbing that someone would send something of that nature around to a group of 40+ professionals, not knowing who it might offend. Distrubing even further that someone wouldn't think far outside the box to realize that it could be taken offensively. I didn't want to blow it out of proportion because I was hurt by it and thought this was a perfect place to get an understanding of what people's take on it was. Thanks again.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2009, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMewiththat View Post
    Thanks for your comments. I guess as I received it in my email inbox among all the important documents etc. and to update us that the minutes were complete. I just found it offensive as an adoptee. Were I get that it was meant to be humourious and not hurtful, I found it so disturbing that someone would send something of that nature around to a group of 40+ professionals, not knowing who it might offend. distrubing even further that someone wouldn't think far outside the box to realize that it could be taken offensively. I didn't want to blow it out of proportion because I was hurt by it and thought this was a perfect place to get an understanding of what people's take on it was. Thanks again.

That was my point - why is "you're adopted" funny to the person who posted this? Yes, it's offensive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search