Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2006, 03:49 PM
    I am a new roommate and need help
    My son and I moved from another state to TN. My boyfriend moved to TN. 2 months prior to us coming here. He had moved in with his roommate/tenant, which they have been friends for many years. The lease is in the roommate/tenant name. The roommate/tenant offered my son and I to come stay with them until Nov. which is when the lease is up, at that time we were going to get a house. The roommate/tenant assured me that it was OK with the landlord and him for us to come stay. I have been here for a month now. The roommate/tenant insisted on me not paying rent because as he knew I only had 1 source of income through SSI as my sons father passed away, but I paid him anyway. I start a job in 2 weeks and was going to purchase a car with my first check as our truck broke down in the process of driving here. He went as far as to say for me to not pay anything for Sept. so we could get a car, but I declined and said I would get a car with my check from work in 2 weeks but pay at least the electric with my SSI. To help them out. Well, he came to us last night and stated that now the landlord has a problem with him having roommates. I was told that he has used his landlord as an excuse to move people out on 2 other occasions. First he said the landlord was giving us one day to move and then he changed the story to one week. I do not get paid for another 2 weeks and we have no where else to go. I was told that if I receive mail here that we could stay and would have to be served a 30 day eviction notice, is that true? I would move right now just to avoid conflict if I had the funds to, but I don't have the funds until I get my check. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2006, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jbk
    My boyfriend moved to TN. 2 months prior to us coming here. He had moved in with his roommate/tenant, which they have been friends for many years.
    From what you just said, this guy's landlord is your boyfriend. So what is the problem?

Perhaps you misspoke above.

Go to the landlord in the building and ask him directly!!

You are living there, whether people are happy about it, and you must receive 30 days notice.

The landlord can evict this guy for violating the lease of now subletting. However, he would also be required to give 30 days.

Point, you must be given 30 days notice.

Aug 30, 2006, 04:05 PM
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, my boyfriend moved in with the guy that offered us a place to stay, the lease is in the guys name not my boyfreind. So he still has to give us 30 days, even though my boyfriend and I are not on the lease? Thanks again!
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2006, 04:09 PM
    Yes, he still must give you 30 days.

He sublet a room to you, therefore, becoming YOUR landlord.

And with no written contact, you are on a month-month lease.

Meaning, he must give you 30days notice if he wants you out.

Aug 30, 2006, 04:14 PM
    That is great news! I assume I am still obligated to pay this month then. For a minute there I thought my son and I were going to be homeless. Thank you so much for your reply. You have been a great help.
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2006, 04:22 PM
    You're welcome and Yes, you are still obligated to pay this month's rent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I Want The Roommate To Leave! [ 8 Answers ]

I live in the state of virginia and have a verbal agreement with a guy who is renting out my spare room. I never had him sign a lease agreement. He is just a roommate. Now I want him to leave. He is behind on his rent. His dog uses my house as it's own toilet. I walk through my front door and slip...

Roommate confusion [ 5 Answers ]

Good Evening, My husband and I have posted several messages in other areas that cost money to advertise in.We are looking for a military roommate who is about our age (over the party stage at home)We don't drink or do drugs and have a nice home that is comfortable.We are easy going and pretty...

Roommate needs to go [ 3 Answers ]

I have a roommate that has worn out his welcome with both myself and the landlord.I want him gone yesterday.We have lived in the house for three months (He moved in 15 days after me) And he has paid only one month rent.I live in Washington state and can't get anyone to give me some advice on how to...

Roommate obligation [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question. My daughter is living in Seattle in an apartment that she shares with another woman. They had a one year lease, which ran out in September of last year.They decided to stay in the apartment together, while on a month to month lease plan with the landlord. The problem is...

Roommate issue [ 5 Answers ]

I have a roommate who recently is becoming difficult to live with and that's putting it mildly (long story which I won't get into right now. I lived in the apartment originally with my mother and grandmother and when they passed away (my grandmother first in '97 and my mother in 2000), I needed a...

View more questions Search