Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sriharshads Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2009, 09:16 AM
    Stayed less than 183 days in USA on L1B
    Hi,

- I have stayed in IL, USA on L1B for 43 days in 2008.
    - For rest of the year 2008, I was working in India.
    - My gross income when I was staying in USA is 7776 USD.
    - I didn't have any other income other than 7776 USD when I was in USA.
    - I was married (no kids) when I stayed in USA for 43 days, but my wife was back in India when I was in USA

1) Do I file as a resident on non-resident?
    2) Do I have to file for Part Year ? Clarify.
    3) Do I file as Single Or Married ?
    4) Do I get all my Federal Tax Withheld?
    5) What is "Recovery rebate credit" ? Do I qualify 300 USD Tax Return based on "Recovery rebate credit" for year 2008?
    6) What is the best Online Tax Filing Website for me in this situation?

Regards,
    Sri
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 7, 2009, 11:19 AM
    1) Non-resident.

2) Yes.

3) Married.

4) Probably, if you deduct daily living expenses (assumng you did not get a tax-free daily stipend).

5) Not eligible.

6) You cannot file on-line, as you must file Forms 1040NR with Form 2106 to claim the daily living costs.

If you still need to file and wnt prfessional help, email me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Returns for stayed less than 183 days [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was working in US for 12th May 2008 to 6th July 2008 on L1-B visa. I paid Fed Income Tax $1594, Social security Tax $622 and Medicare Tax $145. I know I will get some of the tax paid back. Can you let me know how much I will get it? What is the process to get it back? Thank you,

Has anyone every stayed in Pisciotta Italy? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, I am new to this group, and want to see if anyone has ever visited, or stayed in a b&b or hotel in the beautiful little town of pisciotta, italy? We will be flying into rome in October, and staying for 2-3 days, and Then moving on to other parts of italy. One of the places we had...

Divorced but stayed together [ 7 Answers ]

I was divorced in 1989 but we stayed together till last July 2007. Everything was in his name. We bought a house I put down 1/2 the down payment and always worked and raised the kids. He did nothing around the house. Never lifted a finger. I also put several large chunks of money from...

Stayed Less than 183 days in NJ on L1 [ 1 Answers ]

I stayed for less than 183 days in NJ on L1. I was in us from mid may 2007 till mid oct 2007. Presently I am in India. Do I need to file 1040 or 1040 NR? Will I be a part resident or Non-Resident for NJ? What is 1040 NR-EZ? Do I need to file it also?

He stayed the night even though we are broke up [ 3 Answers ]

We broke up because I strayed he said no more chances though last night he came over we dranke wine and made love all night he stayed and said to me the more he knows me the more beautil I am to him

View more questions Search