Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sharetehe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2009, 07:35 AM
    Continuing Education without permanent residency
    State : New York

Hello I have a friend who came to the United States on a temporary visa sometime during grade school and she has continued her education up till her current status as a first year in a city college. Her temporary visa has expired for quite a while and she would like to continue her education here and if possibly obtain permanent residency. I was wondering what options were available in her current position. Should she contact a immigration attorney? Her family's immigration status is the same as hers.
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Mar 16, 2009, 11:35 AM

It sounds like she has been out of status for a long time. There is no nonimmigrant visa classification for this situation in that she apparently was in the correct visa classification, but overstayed.

For permanent residence, she will need a way to get permanent residence, that is a qualifying relative.

You should see if she is grandfathered for section 245(I) and she may be able to find her own employment-based petitioner, depending on her employment history.

You definitely need to consult with an experienced immigration attorney. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Permanent Residency in India [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all, I am Iranian and live in Iran. My parents, my brother and I have made several trips to India over the past few years and we are all in love with the country. We would like to live to India for good. Our family has reasonable funds amounting to around 1 million USD. What are the...

Permanent residency in Australia [ 5 Answers ]

I am diploma in information technology the two years diploma. I don't know whether with this course can I get Permanent residency or not. Some of my friends are telling me that I have to do university to get PR and some of are telling me it depends on the point calculation. Please if anybody can...

Need a grant for continuing education. [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I receive a $5000.00 educational grant to continue school at American Contenital University?

Permanent residency application and tax deduction [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently had an attorney assist in my application for permanent residency in US. Since this will replace my current work TN VISA (temporary VISA), is the attorney fee a deductable expense on my tax?

View more questions Search