Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arpita205 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2009, 07:11 AM
    Min. Price to be quoted/relevant costing
    I would be thankful if you could through some more light on concepts of relevant costing. Actually I am getting confused in a case of min. price is to be quoted for special order, wherein our firm has not reached Break-even point i.e. our normal operations have not covered our fixed cost.

My problem is whether I am suppose to consider unrecovered fixed cost from our special customer.

Some of my friends says that I am supposed to take it some says to ignore it. Please help me out.
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Mar 16, 2009, 01:41 PM

Okay, I need a little clarification here...

Is your normal business a larger production run where you would calculate the breakeven point based on (P-VC)/FC, and now you have a customer that wants a special order of a smaller quantity and your not sure how to handle?

If that is the same I would build in some allowance for fixed costs into your price. But you obviously cannot use the model above for your pricing as much of your fixed costs are already being covered by your other customers or production runs. Also if you were to try to recoup all of your fixed costs on a special order your price would be way too high.

Is that a good summary of the problem you are facing? If not please describe in more detail.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relevant Costing [ 1 Answers ]

What are the concepts of relavant costing and how it might apply to manufacturing company. Illustrate with examples.

Relevant costing [ 1 Answers ]

1 what are relevant costs? And how it helps in make &buy decisions?

Relevant costing [ 1 Answers ]

SBL produces special containers. They believe that if they outsource them it would be much cheaper. An outsourcing company EPC is prepared to supply new containers (30,000) per annum for £1,150,000 per year. The contract will cover a term of 5 years. Irrespective of whether SBL outsource...

View more questions Search