Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    0656molly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2009, 06:58 AM
    Daughter disrespectful but dose not think so
    We have helped our daughter and her partner get on the property ladder by lending them the deposite their house was quite run down but as my husband are into diy we have been working to bring it up to standed we have also taken out a loan to help with the mayor work elec/heating and so on there is know problem with the money our problem is with the lack of them helping themselves they don't do a thing now they have a weeks holiday off so I said great we'll really get some work done but madam says she has plans. Their son is two on Thursday and they want to spend the week taking her baby out and about their money is tight, but it's all right for her father and I to use our lesure time and days off to pull their house up to scratch it's lovely been with your baby but as she is expecting another child in oct you would think she would want the house shipshape and if you say anthing you only get a stroppy answer she say's she is not taking us for granted and is respectful
    Help June .
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Mar 16, 2009, 08:19 AM
    I think you have found yourself between a rock and a hard place.

It was very generous of you to help financially get your daughter and her family a home, and to do so much work there to bring it up to standard.

But, on the other hand, this does not automatically mean that she has somehow agreed to your idea, and/or schedule, of how the repairs are to be done, or when.

While I agree that with a baby on the way, it would be nice to get the work done now, she and her husband choose to do other things. Maybe this holiday she wanted peace and quiet to enjoy some R&R without the upset of a house reno going on?

I'd be inclined to not hold resentment over this. Instead, ask her to mark on a calendar when she can schedule open time for work to get done on the house. It might be better not to presume that her goals are the same as yours. As to when the work on the house will get done.

If you have a schedule of some sort, it will beat the guessing and assuming for all concerned. That way, it is less of a convenience for you and your husband, and your daughter and her family as well.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2009, 10:19 AM

I'd give some times when you are available to help them out and let them pick from them. Otherwise, it can be up to them to get the job done, even if it means paying someone else to do it.
    Maybe suggest a compromise for the week they have off... work for three days and the rest can be spent for family time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 22yr old daughter is SO disrespectful! [ 23 Answers ]

I have a 22yr old daughter that lives with me and my husband and our children (younger sisters) and has been for 3 months after leaving an abusive relationship. She has 2 daughters 1yr & 4yr living with us also.. they are wonderful! My daughter is such a unhappy, ungratefull crabby... She has...

My 20yr-old daughter is disrespectful and takes me as a nobody. [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter is 20years-old, no job, and moved out of her apartment. Her behavior gotten worse after she moved out of my house and into the apartment. Ever since, She lies to me about going to church meetings, but actually a guy's house or party. She never answers the phone even if I call 6...

Disrespectful 27 old daughter and grandmother [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 27 year old daughter that is bipolar, still in college and 2 kids. Her father and I divorced when she was 5. Her father was an alcoholic and died when she was 15 due to liver complications. I have been the only constant in her life besides my parents. I have tried to raise her and...

Disrespectful Daughter [ 1 Answers ]

Please, anyone out there who can help, I have a 19 year old daughter who is in her first year of college. She has done well, etc. but we have had a turbulant relationship since she was 13. I thought it would be better when she went to college but she just is getting worse about trying to run my...

Disrespectful Step-Daughter [ 10 Answers ]

My boyfriend's daughter has never disrespected me, but she goes out of her way to make her father feel horrible. We have gone out of our way to make sure she knows she is welcome to do anything we are doing, but the few times she agreed to go with us she either talked on her cell phone or texted...

View more questions Search