Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cassie-hinkle-1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2009, 10:49 PM
    Wanting to change sons last name father not on birth cert and not in sons life
    I need help my son is almost 3 and his father will not sign the birth cert and will not pay child support and will not give up his rights I am a single mother who has kept myself off welfare because they will go after him and. I am not wanting anything from him, I am just wanting to take his last name off and change it to mine
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2009, 04:42 AM

In order to do that he is going to have to sign off and paternity is going to have to be established...

Basically he cannot have it both ways. He is supposed to be responsible for his child. Who cares what he WANTS. Its what your child is owed.
    Jaysmom Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

May 13, 2009, 05:58 PM

It used to be that if the father didn't have anything to do with the child for two yrs or more, that means no cards, no visits, no nothing you could get it done, as long as you kept it quite and didn't even tell him. You automatically will have to put it in the paper but does he or any of his family read the paper? Does his family have anything to do with the child? Is your dad still around to where you could say he wanted to give him his last name which hopeful is the same as yours. You just have to show that your not doing it illegally for any reason. Check with your lawyer but also if he doesn't see the child or support him in any way, what's the problem. Maybe you should go on aide to show him that he can sign off or play the jail game, if he doesn't pay the support either way he won't be around for the baby.

Good luck but there is away

May 13, 2009, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    In order to do that he is going to have to sign off and paternity is going to have to be established...

Basically he cannot have it both ways. He is supposed to be responsible for his child. Who cares what he WANTS. Its what your child is owed.
    But you can't make someone be a dad or provider that doesn't want to so why push the issue and stress from it later in life when you learn to do it all yourself or have done it yourself all this time.

May 13, 2009, 06:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaysmom View Post
    but you can't make someone be a dad or provider that doesnt want to so why push the issue and stress from it later in life when you learn to do it all yourself or have done it yourself all this time.
    Plus if there hasn't been any any knowledge of the paternal father on paper who is going to step up and say they want to pay support if he hasn't done it by now. A good father would but that doesn't seem to be the case
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 13, 2009, 06:08 PM
    but you can't make someone be a dad or provider that doesnt want to so why push the issue and stress from it later in life when you learn to do it all yourself or have done it yourself all this time.
    Again, this is a LAW forum, we give advice according to the law, not what people think should happen.

Cassie,
    You should have gone to court to get this all straight when the child was born. A birth certificate is a legal document and can only be changed by court order.

Nor can you sneak around to try and get it done. You apparently know how to contact him so doing service by newspaper is not going to cut it.

Your best bet is to get an attorney and get this done right. Go afer him for support. But if he refuses to agree to change the birth certificate, then a court won't force him to.

May 13, 2009, 06:10 PM

All I can say is every state is different and that there is options to get the name changed you just don't ask the real dad nothing if he does nothing

May 13, 2009, 06:14 PM
    all i can say is every state is different and that there is options to get the name changed you just dont ask the real dad nothing if he does nothing
    Please cite any statute to support your claim. Yes states have different laws, but I know of no state that would allow a legal document to be changed without the consent of both parties. The only time that would happen is if a good faith effort was made to find the other party. Just not telling them is NOT good faith. You are advising the OP to commit perjury.

May 13, 2009, 06:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Please cite any statute to support your claim. Yes states have different laws, but I know of no state that would allow a legal document to be changed without the consent of both parties. The only time that would happen is if a good faith effort was made to find the other party. Just not telling them is NOT good faith. You are advising the OP to commit perjury.
    If there is no father known on paperwork for records and she just put a name on the baby and the name is the name of someone who she claims to be the father but yet he never took responsillty to signing papers then why does she need permission to change the name to another name on her own.

May 13, 2009, 06:55 PM

If you read the OP more carefully you will see his name IS on the birth certificate and she wants to take it off.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2009, 06:13 AM
    Yes, you actually can. That's why child support exists. You can't make him be a dad but you can make him be a provider.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My sons father is a loser and I don't want him in our life. [ 43 Answers ]

I understand that I'm going to get some very nasty responses but I'm looking for someone who has been in this situation and can give me advice. I have a soon to be 4 yr old son. I'm in a 10 yr marriage and about 4 yrs ago my husband and I both stepped out together with different people. I ended...

Sons father is destroying my life and loving it. [ 5 Answers ]

I have been lied about and harassed by my sons father ever since the day he had been born. I recently went through a tragic thing with my ex and my current boyfriend. It was a attempted murder suicide. This guy has created a web site and page degrading and causing more problems for me. He speaks as...

Getting my sons father to sign birth certifacte [ 1 Answers ]

My sons father lives in another state and I need him to sign his birth certifact but he is incarcerated how do I go about that

Wanting sons father to lose his parental rights [ 8 Answers ]

My son's father has made no efffort or contact with his son in almost a year. And my son is devastated. But is just now starting to get over it and move on. How do I keep his father out of his life. My son has made attempts to contact his father with no response.

Custody of my son, Father is present in sons life [ 16 Answers ]

Ok me and baby's father are not and have never been married, we both live in NC. He is present in my child's life but has a drug addiction. He keeps my son several nights a week but here lately me and my sons father have been arguing a lot. He has threatened to take my son away and not give him...

View more questions Search