Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prussell93 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2009, 08:15 PM
    Best On ground pools in New Jersey
    I am considering installing an on ground pool and need to know the pros and cons of them being that they are new to the pool industry and also who is the best pool dealer in New Jersey to go with and best prices? I hope someone can help me with these questions.
    Thanks
    chillikitty Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Mar 15, 2009, 09:13 PM
    Here are the pros and cons.

************** PROS

An in-ground swimming pool is a great addition to any backyard. It provides cool convenient relief from heat and a classy way to entertain your guests. Just add a barbecue grill to a pool, add some friends, and you've got yourself an instant winner. Everybody loves to at least look at a clean baby blue body of water. It's almost hypnotic.

On hot sweltering days when you can't go to a beach, it really is a life saver. And in some regions it adds to the value of a house as well, although perhaps by not as much as you think

************** CONS

An in-ground swimming pool has a lot of liabilities as well.

First off – the legal liabilities. If you have small kids and are inviting their friends to have fun at your pool, not only you have to supervise them constantly (accidents happen within seconds!) but I strongly advise you to have their parents SIGN IN WRITING a statement that they will not hold you legally responsible should any mishap occur.

Jumping boards do not mix with kids. Any jumping board where kids and teenagers are going in and out of a pool whole day is a disaster waiting (and begging) to happen.

Swimming pools need constant chemical maintenance, cleaning up and attention. If you enjoy vacuuming your house, get ready to enjoy vacuuming the bottom of your pool as well because you have to do that regularly, perhaps once a month.

A pool is a very spoiled creature. Neglect it for just a day or two in June or July and you've got yourself a nice backyard swamp, complete with the smell, with mosquitoes flying all over the place. You really need to budget pool maintenance as a permanent expenditure.

Make sure you get a nice winter cover that comes with spring-locks. Yes, the "expensive kind" because nothing else really works. There is no realistic alternative to a good porous cover that will allow the rain and snow water filter through yet would not puncture if a baby or an animal walks on it.

Make sure to have a good (at least 6 feet high) fence all around your pool with a locked gate. Otherwise you are opening yourself up for all kinds of legal "situations."

Make sure your pump and filtration system is in good working order. Approximately in every 15 years or so you probably will have to change your pump. Not only that, your underground pipes and skimmers might need to be dug up and changed as well since constant chlorine (also called “shock”) in the water slowly corrodes all plastic parts and debris and other residues eventually clog them.

If you are living in a wooded area there might be the additional problem of pest and wildlife control. Rats and chipmunks are known to regularly fall into swimming pools even when they are so chlorinated you can smell it from afar. Raccoons and shrews are also known to take over some pools at night and declare them their own private bathrooms! So have a wildlife control program under your belt. Learn the regulations of your state and county for fighting such problems. It may not be as easy and automatic as you think.

And if you still think owning an in-ground swimming pool is a cool idea, do it. Buy that house with that magnificent blue toy in the backyard and enjoy it! After all that expense and effort and pampering, you certainly do deserve it.

Joe ordini... the pool king
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2009, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chillikitty View Post
    Here are the pros and cons.

First off – the legal liabilities. If you have small kids and are inviting their friends to have fun at your pool, not only you have to supervise them constantly (accidents happen within seconds!) but I strongly advise you to have their parents SIGN IN WRITING a statement that they will not hold you legally responsible should any mishap occur.

This is incorrect and dangerous legal advice - people CANNOT legally waive their rights and that includes the right to sue if injured. This is no different from asking people who are passengers in your motor vehicle to sign that they will not sue you if you are in an accident and they are injured - it is not a binding agreement.

Again - people CANNOT waive their legal rights.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 16, 2009, 07:23 AM

This is wrong on several levels. Judy is right, you can not waive the rights of a minor. Also the OP says ON ground pool and makes other sentence errors, so we don't really know if he mean IN ground or an above ground pool. We need the OP to better explain the situation. Prussel, can you explain further?

Mar 16, 2009, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    This is wrong on several levels. Judy is right, you can not waive the rights of a minor. Also the OP says ON ground pool and makes other sentence errors, so we don't really know if he mean IN ground or an above ground pool. We need the OP to better explain the situation. Prussel, can you explain further?
    Hello Everyone,

I need information about ON GROUND Pools not In Ground pools and not any legal advice per say. I need more information about this new type of pool.

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks
    prussell93

Mar 16, 2009, 03:29 PM

Prussel, that's for clarifying that point. We call these above ground pools in the USA but elsewhere may know them by ON ground pool, might be how we were confused. Where do you live? Thses above ground pools are very common in my area, I removed mine after 15 years of use and it was still serviceable. We may help you better if we know your location.

Mar 16, 2009, 04:50 PM

Dear Ballengerb1,
    This actually isn't an above ground pool. It is supposedly a new type of pool made by Champlain Company,however, I want to know more info on these on ground pools other than just advertisements. They are also called partially inground pools. I am in New Jersey and have only found so far one pool dealer that knows how to install them.

Mar 16, 2009, 04:57 PM

Can you give me a link or web address so I can see more, I have never heard of this company or this type of install. I have half buried above ground pools several times.

Mar 16, 2009, 05:40 PM

If you go to Above Ground Pools are Above Ground Pools with Class, they're Above Ground Pool with Style they are a re-seller of these type of pools.

Let me know what you think

Mar 16, 2009, 06:10 PM

Looks fairly slick but I can't give any real advice or even an opinion on a product I have not installed. Good luck, I'd ask for the names and phone numbers of previous customers.
    mattcandraw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2009, 07:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by prussell93 View Post
    Dear Ballengerb1,
    This actually isn't an above ground pool. It is supposedly a new type of pool made by Champlain Company,however, I want to know more info on these on ground pools other than just advertisements. They are also called partially inground pools. I am in New Jersey and have only found so far one pool dealer that knows how to install them.
    By any chance would you be able to share the name of the NJ installer of these pools.. I live in NJ and my property is on a slop so this would work out great for my family and I...

For all the links and pics of what an onground pool is look here..
    On Ground Swimming Pools

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Above ground pools [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a patch for above ground pools that are full? The hole is very small down towards the bottom.

Above ground oval pools [ 2 Answers ]

I have a new oval above ground pool. I put it up myself and when I put water in it the bottom of the pool starts to lift. Does anyone know why this happened and how I fix it?

Heaters for above ground pools [ 2 Answers ]

About how many degrees can I expect a heater to bring up the temperature in my above ground pool? And how easy is it to maintain that temperature once it is established?

Are on ground pools safe [ 1 Answers ]

I hope someone can help me with this question. I am ready to install a swimming pool in my backyard. I surfed the net and saw photos of on ground pools that go half-way in the ground. I would like that since it is cheaper then an inground pool and can go to eight feet. I want to know if it is...

Advice on above ground pools [ 2 Answers ]

OK... We're going to take the plunge and get an above ground pool. I've been trying to do some priliminary research on the internet as we won't actually purchase until this fall. I have had little luck in finding a non-biased source of information on recommended brands and recommended types of...

View more questions Search