Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1HOMESEEKR Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2009, 02:37 PM
    3 years delinquent in property taxes
    I am currently living in a home in which the homeowner/agent is facing great financial difficulties. I have a been renting this property and found out that the property is going to be auctioned in approximately four months. Should i try and purchase the property in tax auction. The owner is delinquent approx. $6500.00... please advise
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 15, 2009, 03:07 PM

You can't purchase it for the delinquent price. There is more to it than that. You have to hire a lawyer, have the title searched and purhase the property through the normal legal channels.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 15, 2009, 03:22 PM

Actually you can purchase it at the tax sale, ** if there is a mortgage on the home, they will not ever let it sell, they will come in the week or so before and pay the tax and add it to the mortgage payment that is due normally.

In some states you will get a tax certificate that you have to hold for 1 to 3 years at interest ( most pay about 10 percent now) and if it is not redeamed within that time, you turn it over for a tax deed. In some states you get the actual deed the day of sale. These sales will not clear up local city property taxes due, or IRS liens on property.

I buy a lot of properties at tax sales each year. Now it will be a auction, so a property with tax of 6500 may sale for 20,000 or it may just go for the 6500 it depends on the number of people bidding and how bad they want that property

You will have to have cash ( approved check) the day of the sale.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 15, 2009, 03:49 PM

Frankly, if you don't want to move, I would make an offer on the house to the owner. If there is a mortgage as, Chuck said the mortgage holder will not let not go in auction. But if there is no mortgage, then you may be able to buy it for a little more that the taxes owed. For example, you can offer the owner $5K for the house plus you will pay the tax arrears once the property is transferred.

But, since the house is occupied, its probably in decent to good condition so will fetch much more at auction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Delinquent property taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I am current with my mortgage payments and I was working with the tax office with a payment plan and I had a few set backs but I am now back on track however I just received a postcard that I need to pick up some legal proceeding papers at the sheriff's office. They are from the county tax office,...

Delinquent real property tax [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to find out when a county can sell property under foreclosure for unpaid property tax (on land and house)? It is Mercer County in West Virginia specifically.

Are you still liable for a debt that has been delinquent for over 8 years? [ 1 Answers ]

If a credit card account has been delinquent since 1998/99 and has been on my credit report for over 8 years, am I still liable for that debt? Shouldn't this debt be null and void? I noticed that every time this particular credit card debt is sold to another collection agency, it shows up on my...

Search delinquent taxes on real property [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get information on delinquent taxes on real property within a county that I would like to buy property?thank you

View more questions Search