Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sacramento Posts: 163, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2009, 02:07 PM
    Fixing a double hung window
    I have a small (3 feet wide) double hung window in a bedroom. When I open the bottom, where the screen is, the top falls down a little bit and there is no screen there! How do I prevent the top from falling open? Thanks for the help!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2009, 03:47 PM

There is not a simple answer. There is a problem with the counter-balance system.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 05:21 PM

KISS is right. U have a problem with the counter balance system.

Can u let us know what type u have? If u look in the channel above lower window, do u see a rope or chain or aluminum tube?

If u can give us this info, we may be able to help u.

Good luck

Chuck
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 08:22 PM

There is a window clip that goes in between the window and side jamb. We use it on our re haps for older wooden windows. It can be applied to newer Windows. It screws in. It's a thin steel flat plate and another plate comes off that that's slightly bent. That's the spring part of the clip. Usually on does it. You pull the top window all the way down. Install the clip and slide back up. Two van be used but usually on works. This slides with the window. Or the other goes on the jamb. I'm trying to find a web site on it. I get mine at our local REAL lumber yard.

You may be able to get replacements parts for it but usually that's hard. Usually the manufactures name in on the frame of the window Tatar against the actual framing, which would mean the whole window has to come out. We have done this on the re haps but that's because we need More windows on an addition to match grills etc. Ive used these tension clips with good results

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(uz...px?SKU=5198502

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2009, 08:35 PM

The vinyl, tiltable windows that Have have would require, removing the sashes. Not an easy feat. They are removed on an angle. Takes practice.

Then there are spiral springs on the window. Cleaning and relubercating can help.

Otherwise, the spring is removed from the shoe with a special tool and cranked in or out to change the tension and then it's put back in place.

But that is only one method.
    GZDZ Posts: 139, Reputation: 18

Mar 16, 2009, 04:38 AM

The part you need to replace is called a Balance. It costs about $8. It comes in various lengths, for specific window lenghts. Raise the bottom sash or lower the top sash about 4 inchs. Tilt the window in till perpendicular. Tilt the sash of either side till the pins come out of the shoe in the track. The window will come out and remove it. DO NOT change the position of the slots in the shoes as this will allow the balance to spring up with significant force. Now, remove the balance with 1 screw at the top of the tube. Then measure from the top of the tube to the bottom, with the spiral rod fully inserted. It is usually about 30 inchs or so depending on you windo size. When you purchase the new balance buy the tool to place tension on the balance when re installing. Its about $10.

I've installed 1000's of these windows in the 1980's
    Hope this helps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Windows (Alliance? Double Hung) [ 5 Answers ]

I recently had my home built in a rural area (very open to the wind). During winter months (this is the 2nd winter in the home) most of my windows will get a little moisture on the glass, just above where I lock/unlock the windows to open. My problem is the 3 windows on the Northwest side of my...

Window Coverings for Double French Doors [ 1 Answers ]

Does anybody have any good suggestions for window coverings over a french door window? During the summer, the sun is pounding through those doors. At other times, I would like to be able to catch the view through the doors. I initially considered blinds, but where does the cord go when the...

Fixing window sash [ 1 Answers ]

Tommyjoe206: The window is a "Accuweld" which was special ordered (33.75x33.50). The guy at Lowe's told me I could order the glass like you said but don't you need special skills to replace the glass ? I thought that it was insulated glass the sash was put under a vacumn and special caulk was used....

Vinyl Double Hung Windows don't LOCK [ 1 Answers ]

All, So I just bought a condo, it has vinyl double hung windows. Bad part is that they don't lock. I push the top window as far as possible, and the lower one down as much as it can go, but I am still 1/2 inch off from the latch being able to lock. How can I correct this ? Is it expensive...

View more questions Search