Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sallymae Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2009, 01:07 PM
    Employer discussions of employee actions
    I serve as a member of a board of directors for a non profit corp. We discussed the actions of our only employee and when he found out about it he resigned and is threating to sue us for slander. The actions were witnessed and the discussions were totally between the board members only. Can't employers discuss actions of employees without the treat of this happening? I have always heard that Truth is the defense for Slander, but the money it is going to cost in legal fees is horrible.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 01:18 PM

As you stated, Truth is a defense for slander. It is legal for an employer to discuss the actions of an employee. However, anyone can sue at any time. They don't have a case. The real question is whether he'll find a lawyer to take his case, as if you're telling the whole story, he doesn't have a case.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2009, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post
    As you stated, Truth is a defense for slander. It is legal for an employer to discuss the actions of an employee. However, anyone can sue at any time. They don't have a case. The real question is whether or not he'll find a lawyer to take his case, as if you're telling the whole story, he doesn't have a case.

I absolutely disagree with you here - without more info it is impossible to tell if there is or is not a case. How did the employee find out what was said?

I also would take the position that if the TRUTH were told UNNECESSARILY and it caused the employee to be so uncomfortable that he/she resigned out of embarrassment or some other factor there is an action.

Here is what I wrote about defamation: Briefly - Generally in law libel refers to permanent/written statements and slander refers to non-permanent/spoken statements. Defamation (of character) covers both categories.

You must be damaged - and prove damages - in order to recover. The statements (either written or spoken) must be false but presented as though they were true and be beyond offensive, derogatory or insulting. Such statement must rise to a level which actually harms a person’s reputation. In general the person making the statement must either know it isn’t true or make the statement without attempting to verify if it is true.

The defense to defamation is that the information was not presented as the truth (which covers gossip), that the information was never secret (privileged) and was always public.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employer Taxes for OPT employee [ 8 Answers ]

I am an employer and have an employee working on OPT. I don't withheld social security and medicare taxes from the employee paycheck. Do I need to pay employer portion of social security and medicare taxes even though I don't withhold these taxes from the employee paycheck? Alsodo I need to...

Employer w/holding money from employee check [ 14 Answers ]

Can an employer with hold money from an employees check without the employees consent? Is it legal? Is it legal for your company to with hold money from your paycheck, if they think you spent too much money while traveling for work? They are with holding money from his paycheck because they...

FICA Tax must paid by employer or Employee? Is there any excemption in it? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I am on H1B visa , working in GA. 1. does the FICA tax needs to be paid by the employer or by employee? 2. is there any exemption based on annual income? If yes what should be the yearly income to get rid of FICA tax? I am curious to know the answer for these Payroll...

View more questions Search