Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aisha_18 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2009, 12:49 PM
    Biochemistry - Thermodynamics
    Hi this is a biochemistry assignment The question is

If 45mg of A (MW 190D) is dissolved in 10 ml of water in a test tube incubated at 23 degrees with an appropriate catalyst until equilibrium is reaches, what is the concentration of F?

I know how to do the problem, but what I am am having a slight problem with is how to get the concentration of A from the information given.. which is 45 mg of A ( MW 190D) dissolved in water. Also Have any one came across MW 190D? If so what does thiss mean? I have searched and could not find it.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 01:13 PM

I think the MW of 190D must be a typo. Molecular weight is only ever a number.

EDIT

If it is homework just do the calculation assuming the MW is 190 (not an unreasonable number) and maybe write a note saying you didn't understand what the D is about. You'll get the marks for doing the calulation right which is what they are testing anyway.
    theresacarolive Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2009, 12:48 PM

Q=mc/\T
    Q=amount of heat required to cause the temperature change(expressed in calories)

m=mass of material experincing the temperature change(expressed in grams)

c=specific heat capacity, a measurement of the material's ability to retain heat(expressed in cal/g*C)

/\T= the change in the temperatue of the material(expressed in *C

A 500g sample of an unknown material requires 750 calories of heat to raise its temperature by 50*C. solve for c
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2009, 02:37 PM
    If 45mg of A (MW 190D) is dissolved in 10 ml of water in a test tube incubated at 23 degrees with an appropriate catalyst until equilibrium is reaches, what is the concentration of F?
    I'm pretty sure that means "MW 190 Daltons", though usually they use "Da" and not just "D". A Dalton is the mass of a hydrogen atom, or a proton or a neutron. It's the "atomic mass unit". So, "MW 190D" = Molecular Weight = 190 grams/mole.

Atomic mass unit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Law of thermodynamics [ 1 Answers ]

What can't be created or destroyed according to the first law of thermodynamics?

Heat and Thermodynamics [ 1 Answers ]

Please tell me about the useful work done by a gas.And Why expansion work is not useful

Thermodynamics [ 6 Answers ]

Why is the Cp value of any gas always greater than the Cv value?I don't want the mathematical proof from the formula Cp-Cv=R... I want the physical interpretation

View more questions Search