Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Otherworlder Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2006, 10:10 AM
    Help! Coupled differential for double pendulum system.
    I have two second order differential equations that describes a double pendulum system:

y''[x] = g(y[w]-y[x])/a
    y''[w] = 2g(y[x]-y[w])/b

I tried in mathematica

DSolve[{y''[x] == g(y[w]-y[x])/a,y''[w] == 2g(y[x]-y[w])/b},{y[x],y[w]},x,w]

but it didn't work. Can Mathematica actually solve that? I looked through the equation pages here and didn't find it either. Anybody has any ideas? I greatly appreciate the help
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Aug 30, 2006, 12:22 PM
    THERE IS THIS SOFTWARE THAT CAN help YOU FIGURE OUT THE PROBLEM... without giving the answer... THE WEBSITE address is:

Www. Algebra-Help.com
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2006, 03:34 AM
    Excuse me if I'm being dim, Luna, but this is a differential problem more than an algebraic one? - from what I can see that software has no calculus built in.

To answer your question otherworlder, Mathematica should definitely be powerful enough to solve it for you, however I am not familiar with using it, so cannot help you.

How about doing it the old fashioned way? ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Partial Differential Equation... Not very easy [ 1 Answers ]

hello, I search a solution for f in this equation : df/dx1+d(f*g)/dx2=0 where g=(-b22*x2-b21*x1-1)/(b12*x2+b11*x1+1) (bij are constant). Can someone help me?

Double Combo vs Double Tee [ 24 Answers ]

Hi All, The drains of my two storey home drain to one point at my basement ceiling, and then vertically to the basement floor via a 3" DWV pipe to a 4" sanitary tee that horizontally provides 1) a clean-out and 2) drain to the septic out the foundation wall. The center-line of the 4" sanitary is...

Bifilar pendulum [ 0 Answers ]

I would like to know why the string separation (in a bifilar pendulum) is inversely proportional to T (peridoc time) If anyone could help that would be great!

How works a differential radioassay [ 1 Answers ]

Please could someone explain to me or give me www-links where is explained what exactly a differential radioassay is an how it works. Thanks in advance Stephan

View more questions Search