Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1cipher1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2009, 01:02 AM
    F1 Student on OPT (US-India treaty)
    Hi all,
    I am on F1 student Visa, and have been working on my OPT after my masters degree. I read that the tax treaty between US and India claims that I can file for exemptions just like a US citizen on the income earned from a local agency in US.
    But I have read that while filing 1040NR-EZ (applicable to me) I can only claim Standard deduction of 5450 and exemption of 3500 for year 2008.
    Is it true that I cannot use the above clause in treaty to claim:
    1. Recovery Rebate Credit. ($600)
    2. Tuition Fee that I paid from my Income ($2122) (this was paid after my tax was deducted!)

I understand that without the treaty, I cannot claim these two, but I am not sure that I can claim these even with the treaty.
    Any advise would be well appreciated.

Regards
    ~cipher
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 16, 2009, 12:00 AM

If you are filing nonresident tax return, you will not get recovery rebate and tuition deduction.

Mar 16, 2009, 12:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    If you are filing nonresident tax return, you will not get recovery rebate and tuition deduction.
    Thanks @MukatA for answering my query. It is helpful.
    I appreciate your help.
    Regards
    ~cipher

Mar 16, 2009, 07:16 AM
    Can I ask for the relocation charges to be exempt from taxes, I incurred these when I did not have a job, I noticed that this is exempt from taxes in a resident tax form, can I ask for this exemption under the NonResident tax form under the treaty?
    ~cipher
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 7, 2009, 11:09 AM
    I assume by relocation charges you speak of reimbursements for moving costs.

If so, these reimbursements are normally tax-exempt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US-India Tax treaty for students from India [ 13 Answers ]

I found out that for Students from India studying in USA under US-India Tax treaty , I can claim $5450 standard exemption under Article 21(2) . IS this true? Thaks in advance!

US-India tax treaty [ 10 Answers ]

I am researcher on J1 visa and wants to take US-INDIA tax treaty benefits. When I started filling 1040NR (filling jointly with my wife with no income from her side), everything is coming 0.00 from line 8 to line 35, as I added my fellowship on line 22 (total income exempt from treaty), which is not...

India usa tax treaty [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I am international student on F1 visa from India for past 3 yrs in US Can I use the india-us tax treaty to get my whole tax money back?

US-India tax treaty [ 1 Answers ]

The India-US tax treaty states 'the tax treaty benefits will be lost retroactively if your stay in US exceeds 2 year period'. What does the phrase mean? Does it mean that if one has to be here for a 3rd year, he/she will have to repay ALL the tax in retrospect, including that of the first 2 years....

India-US tax treaty [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I entered the US on an F-1 in July 2006, and was resident in India prior to that. Previously, I had visited briefly in Feb 2006 on a B-1/B-2 visa. While using the Cintax software to calculate my returns for 2006, it does not deduct the standard deduction for 2006 ($5,150) for me, though it...

View more questions Search