Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    badrobert Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 04:15 PM
    Neutrals and back feeds
    I'm looking to power a 3 phase compressor 80 Amp from 2 panels individually fed from different transformers and only have a 3 pole change over switch. If I link the 2 Neutrals will I have problems with back feeding?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2009, 09:55 AM
    A 3 phase unit should not need a neutral, so there is no need to "link" the two neutrals, which should not be done anyway. Each neutral from a transformer is dedicated for the load of that transformer.

If for some reason your 3 phase AC unit does need a neutral, then a 4 pole "change over switch" (AKA Transfer Switch) will be needed so that each respective branch circuit ungrounded phase conductors utilize the respective neutral.
    badrobert Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2009, 10:19 AM
    [QUOTE=tkrussell;1605944]A 3 phase unit should not need a neutral, so there is no need to "link" the two neutrals, which should not be done anyway. Each neutral from a transformer is dedicated for the load of that transformer.

If for some reason your 3 phase AC unit does need a neutral, then a 4 pole "change over switch" (AKA Transfer Switch) will be needed so that each respective branch circuit ungrounded phase conductors utilize the respective neutral.[I need single phase for controls and condenser fans on the unit and am aware that a balanced load needs no neutral. I was of the opiinion that I could link the neutrals because both transformers are being fed from the 1 original incomer. 10kv at the incomer split to feed 2 transformers to step it down to 400v where the single phase operating voltage is 230v]
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2009, 10:33 AM
    Each transformer is a "Separately Derived System" at the secondary, and the neutrals of these transformers should not be connected.

A better solution will be to have a small control transformer in each AC unit for control voltages.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Satellite Feeds [ 2 Answers ]

Sorry, didn't see a better section for this... I run a small community news website/cable TV show and we sometimes come across the need to receive satellite feeds. The local school has a dish and so does a local TV station, but that's extremely inconvenient. I'm looking into receiving KU...

Night feeds? [ 8 Answers ]

My daughter is 2 years and a few months old. She never took to the bottle so I was breast feeding her up until 2 years.She did drink milk during the times she was awake,but she used to cry a lot in her sleep if I did not feed her. We could not make her stop breast feeding. Now she has...

Correction-GFI & AFI Breakers & Shared Neutrals [ 3 Answers ]

I need to submit a correction to some advice I had furnished in the past regarding Ground Fault and Arc Fault circuit breakers being used on shared neutrals. I had in mind the typical single pole 120 volt breakers that will not work if two breakers are used for two 120 volt circuits that share a...

Grounds and Neutrals under the same lug [ 3 Answers ]

Is it okay for a ground and a neutral wire to rest under the same lug in the main panel? If not, why? What are the potential dangers? Thanks in advance.

Neutrals and Grounds in service panel [ 2 Answers ]

I'm wiring everything for my basement in the panel. There are plenty of open spots left. When I look at the existing wiring (for the rest of the house), all the grounds go to the block on the left and all the neutrals go to the block on the right? 1. Is this required? 2. Why or why not? ...

View more questions Search