Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BankVictim Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2009, 01:29 PM
    Chase holding large deposit
    I am a 30 year customer of NBD->Bank One->Chase with a number of rather substantial accounts. Recently wrote my Chase account a large check on a Chicago bank. The other bank site shows the check was paid the next day. Chase refuses to make the funds available. Says it will hold the check for 9 days. 1. Can they do this, even though they already were paid? 2. what recourse do I really have if they hold it 20 days or 200 days? It seems impractical to sue Chase, and the current Comptroller of the Currency is a Republican appointee
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 14, 2009, 01:33 PM

Chase probably has a standard policy on dealing with third party checks. There may be a standard number of days used to hold checks depending on the amount. However, they still need to pay you interest from the date of deposit.

I would challenge them to show you where the 9 days is written into their procedures.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 14, 2009, 03:04 PM

Yes, merely "clearing" your bank, does not mean it is clear of the system.

This is a protection of several bank schemes moving money from bank to bank.

Also sadly there are 1000's of internet scams using checks mailed to people

This is really done for your protection and the banks protection.

Banks normally have a written policy on deposits of large checks and the holding period. I have seen some up to 15 days depending on size of check
    BankVictim Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    yes, merely "clearing" your bank, does not mean it is clear of the system.

This is a protection of several bank schemes moving money from bank to bank.

Also sadly there are 1000's of internet scams using checks mailed to people

This is really done for your protection and the banks protection.

Banks normally have a written policy on deposits of large checks and the holding period. I have seen some up to 15 days depending on size of check
    I don't mean to be overly negative but: I am well known to my bank branch, and have several pieces of ID. I showed them a check image from the other bank confirming it had been paid. They could easily have called the other bank to further confirm that it had been paid. Under these circumstances I fail to see how waiting another 8 days , or 800 days, would change anything.
    However it turned out to be very costly for me, as a proposed investment got considerably more expensive during the wait. Now, I would not deny Chase the right to operate as they choose so long as I am not as a taxpayer supporting them, (and without that support, namely the taxpayer guarantee of FDIC, and the "too big to fail" doctrine, they could not exist.) Does no one take offense at these shenanigans by the banks?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Holding Deposit [ 2 Answers ]

Is a Holding Deposit refundable

Landlord holding security deposit [ 10 Answers ]

I have former landlord that is keeping my security deposit because he says we broke our lease. We had a 9 month lease we fulfilled. We then communicated via email that we wanted to sign a lease for another 12 months (this was in 4/07). No lease was ever sent or signed by us. We gave our notice...

Large deposit [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a limit to the amount one can place into a regular bank. If so, where else can one deposit a large sum. $1,000,000.00+ ?

The guy holding my hand and the guy holding my heart aren't the same? [ 10 Answers ]

I really like my ex still and I have a new boyfriend and he's so sweet and all, but I'm still just so in love with my ex and it makes me feel bad for my new boyfriend.. I mean I told my ex that I still like him and everything but the thing is is that he has a new girlfriend and so yeah I can't...

How to do you.S. Tax filling, I am holding H1, my wife and son are holding H4 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am holding H-1B, my wife and son are holding H4. I was here in US for 2 times in 2006, June 7 days and December 14 days, my wife and son came here in December and stayed with me till last week of Jan'07. I want to file my returns for 2006. I am still working here on h-1B. My family will...

View more questions Search