Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sivart Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2006, 06:03 PM
    Salary Question / Opinion
    Okay, a brief background on myself:

I'm 17 years old, I still live at home where my parents of course offer food, and the such.

Realistically, at this point the only items I need to pay for (being that of a deduction to monthly income) is my insurance, cell phone bill, and of course an allowance for vehicle fuel.

With that being said, my insurance is $2,000 per year -- which breaks down to abour $170.00 per month.

My cell phone bill (that I owe on) is around $40.00 per month.

In about a week, I would allow myself about $40.00 for gas as well.

That is a total of around $250.00 (let's call it $300.00) for expenses per month.

At my job, I'm on a salaried position, which is presently at around $72,000 per year -- that breaks down to $6,000 a month ($1,500 a week).

After paying for everything that needs to be paid for in a months time, that leaves me with around $5,700 per month.

I'm planning on depositing about $5,000 +/- into my savings account per month -- giving myself an allowance of around $700.00 for general spendings (dinner for my girlfriend, and myself, etc).

I need some opinions on this -- is this a good salary for someone of my age? Is this a good salary for someone who's older than myself, living on their own?

I need to find out exactly how I stand in this world at the present, and how I would theoretically stand in the world (with still having this salary) if I were older, and were living on my own.

Please advise -- thank you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 29, 2006, 07:16 PM
    I do find it hard to actually believe you make that amount, but what the heck, you make good for a 30 year old, a 50 year old and actullly make more than about 2/3 of the people in the US at this time.

At 17 a good salary would be about 20,000 a year for a new person starting a company, with no college, no job skills and no experience.

But with that saidk you need to be also paying your parents at least a small amount for living at their home.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 30, 2006, 07:10 AM
    There used to be a rule of thumb that said you were doing well if your salary was better than your age. While inflation has affected that, anything over $17K is gravy.

However, I'm as skeptical as Chuck here. Obviously you have not gotten a paycheck yet. Yes, $72K/year translates to $6K per month. But what about tax witholding, health insurance and other potential deductions? Your 6K/mth is now down to around $4K or less.

I don't know what your driving habits are, but mine are light and I average closer to $80/mth in slaking my car's thirst.

I also agree with Chuck that you NEED to be paying your parents some room and board. Figuring you live in urban or suburban Ky (with a salary like that), I would say you should be giving them between $250 and $500 mth.

So now your fixed expenses are up to at least $600/mth. Assuming the aforementioned $4K/mth net earnings, I would hold out $1K for fixed and variable expenses. The remaining $3K you can save. If your company offers a 401(K), I would put in the maximum you can to get the company match.

I am, rather curious, about what sort of job pays a 17 year old $72K/yr?

Aug 30, 2006, 10:54 AM
    True, but really I won't have to pay anything besides what I listed. This is all going under the table so to speak - away from taxes from the company.. as far as the company isn't withdrawing the taxes.

I'm a software development engineer, by the way.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Aug 30, 2006, 11:03 AM
    Software on how to break out of jail after being arrested for tax evasion? :rolleyes:
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2006, 11:06 AM
    $72K under the table? To a 17 year old? I find this very hard to believe.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Aug 30, 2006, 11:06 AM
    Rule: more money means hire an accountant...

Aug 30, 2006, 11:08 AM
    If the company is not witholding taxes or anything else then you are not an employee but an independent contractor. This means you will get a 1099R at the end of the year and you will be responsible for paying the taxes at that point. Note also that you WILL need to pay an estimated quarterly amount in taxes. The IRS doesn't like gross under witholding.

This also means, as an independent contractor, that your contract can end at any time. Once the software you are developing is done, they may no longer have any need for you.

Another issue is health insurance. If you are not getting it through the company and your parents policy no longer covers you (usually that stops at 18 unless you are a full time student), then you NEED to purchase insurance for yourself, so that's another expense you need to contemplate.

I must say though, that a "salaried" position is unusual (but not unheard of) in an independent contractor. Generally such are paid by the job with maybe a periodic stipend paid.

I really doubt that a company would be paying $72K "off the books". Its more likely that you have misunderstood the employee/contractor relationship.

One point I should add, you are to be commended for attempting to plan this out and to save a large portion of your earnings. But I do hope you aren't to be condemned for trying to evade taxes (and for stiffing your parents).
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2006, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LUNAGODDESS
    Rule: more money means hire an accountant...
    That is simply not true. You do not have to be an accountant to understand about finances, etc. Anyone can educate themselves and learn about it on their own.

sivart,
    I agree with Scott. You are NOT an employee, but rather an independent contractor if they company is not withholding taxes. Therefore, YOU must set money aside to pay the Tax Man come April.

And if it is one of those illegal operations, where all the money is dirty, then guess what, if you are caught, you will go to jail for a long time and have huge fines to pay. So why chance it? You are 17, do you want to spend the rest of your life in jail?
    Expert

Aug 30, 2006, 02:47 PM
    Yes if you are not being paid as a employee, you are a contractor, thus you will not have any health insurance, life insurance, disability or dental insurance. At 17 you normally don't think you need these but you need a good health insurance plan and also a retirement plan, money put in now will grow over the years greatly.

But you will have a lot of tax lialbilty, since they are not paying you as an employee, you will have to pay income tax both state and federal, and also your medicare insurance, as a employee you pay 7 and 1/2 percent but as a independent contractor you will have to pay 15 percent.

You should figure at least 30 percent of what you bring in will be due to taxes. And at this amount you will need to do quaterly filing, or you could owe penalties at the end of the year.

If you reword this in the tax section, Atlanta Tax Expert can shed more info on this.

No legal company would pay that large of amouint under the table, since they have to account for money going out.

And of course you may be really great but even graduates from places like Georgia Tech going to work as software engineers don't start normally at that high of wage.

Aug 30, 2006, 05:21 PM
    I'm from NY where wages as well as living expenses are high. $72K for a programmer with little if any experience is very high. So I find it hard to believe a KY company would pay that much. What I suspect is you were hired as an independent contractor for $6K per month. While high, its sounds more believable as a short term contract.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Aug 30, 2006, 05:56 PM
    Just call me an old skeptic, but something is rotten in Denmark. I just hope that Guido doesn't ask master sivart to do a hit.
    Expert

Aug 30, 2006, 07:52 PM
    And of course for someone making that much money, don't forget to donate to charity, we accept credit cards and paypal on our web site

Aug 31, 2006, 11:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I'm from NY where wages as well as living expenses are high. $72K for a programmer with little if any experience is very high. So I find it hard to believe a KY company would pay that much. What I suspect is you were hired as an indepedent contractor for $6K per month. While high, its sounds more believable as a short term contract.
    I've got 10 years experience in design and development, 6 of which are in ASP (VB), and 4-5 are in VB.NET and C#.

I've already done tons of contract work for larger companies, such as Super Computer International, U.S. Army, NVIDIA, etc.

This particular company that I'm working for now is based in New York. They are the top marketing consultation group around.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 31, 2006, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sivart's profile
    Date of Birth:
    November 17, 1988
    Quote Originally Posted by sivart
    I've got 10 years experience in design and development
    So you started at 7 years old !!!
    6 of which are in ASP (VB)
    started at 11 years old
    4-5 are in VB.NET and C#
    started at 12 years old

I've already done tons of contract work for larger companies, such as Super Computer International, U.S. Army, NVIDIA, etc.
    This really smells ! I doubt very much that these companies or the US ARMY would employ anyone under the age of 18

Now would you care to start over and tell us the truth or just stop right there??

NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2006, 11:41 AM
    You're 17 and have 10 years experience??

Aug 31, 2006, 12:43 PM
    You may have started playing around with PCs at 7, but I doubt if you were selling your services at that point. I can believe that NVIDIA, might use the services of someone so young, never heard of the other company, but I agree with Ben, the Army is unlikely to employ someone so young. I can't believe that you have some special skill that would make you that unique.

But even if we believe that, you are now confirming that this is a contract job. So you will be getting a 1099 and you will have to pay taxes. So basically everything we have been saying is accurate and correct. A lot of what you have been telling us has been misinformation or just plan unbelievable.
    BIM Posts: 245, Reputation: 50

Aug 31, 2006, 01:39 PM
    HOLY MOLY!! (No offense father) I want to know where you went to school!! SIGN ME UP!! If you are making that kind of money you should be letting your parents quit and you support them for raising such a computer wiz:eek: 72K and 17 hee hee hee

I am sorry, I cannot believe that.
    Expert

Aug 31, 2006, 03:56 PM
    Of course in computers I could believe the army conrtracted with a 12 year old. ( have you ever tried using some of their systems)

But the government has a complex bidding procedure, I used to write up the bidding contracts for various firms. They would take me up to one month to do one bid and be several hundred pages by the time I was done. But no where in the bid contracts did it ask the age of any of the company personnel.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2006, 03:57 PM
    Hey, this gives ma an idea. What if we started a post and everyone tells the biggest lie they can think of? sivart is a hard act to follow but I think it would be fun!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abuse of Exempt (Salary) status [ 1 Answers ]

My husband works for a company that pays him salary. He is a general manager with this company. He is working anywhere from 60 to 70 hours a week. I had read somewhere that if a person is salary that they must work at least 50% of their time doing manager work. He is doing at least 70% of...

Home country salary from US salary [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a L1 visa holder from india and was working in Massachusetts from aug 2005 to dec 2005 as a contractor from my original company in india. I used to receive the US salary from aug 2005 to dec 2005 for which I have the W2. During the same period I also used to receive my indian...

Acountant Salary [ 4 Answers ]

How much does a Acountant make a year?

Salary Question [ 2 Answers ]

A business enterprise pays weekly salaries of $20,000 every Friday for the five-day week ending on that day. If the fiscal period happens on a Thursday, an adjusting entry would be necessary. This adjusting entry would consist of? A- Debit Salaries Expense, $4000 & Credit Salaries Payable, $4000...

Un-paid salary [ 2 Answers ]

I worked as a sales rep for a physical therapy center (for a short period, two weeks and 2 days) before I quite. I did not trust the owner/president of This small company and the work environ became totally negetive, and besides, I did not want to become too much in hock to him lest I get burned....

View more questions Search