Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thesinter Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2006, 04:06 PM
    speed formula help
    OK I am taking my first physics class and I am not doing too great in it, but the good thing is this is only the first week of class. My question is about the speed formula. I know that the formula is S=D/T, but I still get the problems wrong even thow I plug in the numbers right. Here is an example of what I do.

Q1. My dog Daisy can run to the Tn/Ga state line (0.6 miles away) in 5 minutes. What is her speed in miles per hour?

OK here is what I would do:
    1)here is my formula S=0.6m/5min. 2) I would put 5 min into hours .083

3) Then I would divide 0.6m/.083h and get 7.22

what am I doing wrong?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2006, 04:32 PM
    Your setup is fine. Why do you think it is wrong? What is the answer "supposed" to be, if not that?
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Aug 29, 2006, 05:36 PM
    Please note that 5 minutes is not exactly 0.083 hours. You have rounded off that number, which will introduce inaccuracies in your final answer.
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2006, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dmatos
    Please note that 5 minutes is not exactly 0.083 hours. You have rounded off that number, which will introduce inaccuracies in your final answer.
    I REALLY do not think that having 7.2 versus 7.22 is why the person thinks they are wrong. If you're going to worry about accuracy and sig figs note that the measurements are limited in precision anyway by measurements of 0.6 and 5.

That is not the problem.
    thesinter Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2006, 06:39 PM
    I figured out what I did wrong,it took the dog 5 hours not 5 minutes. Also I was doing problems like this and I was not dividing the equation right, but after asking my dad for some help I was guided in the right direction. Also I thank you two for helping me, and I am sure I will be posting here often, so I hope to see you later.
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2006, 07:36 PM
    Just be sure to post as you did.

You posted the question and tried it, and showed your work.

Some people post here expecting us to solve their work and show them how. The way you did it is appropriate and appreciated, and you'll likely get better help when its clear you are at least trying.
    afroman Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2007, 02:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thesinter
    ok i am taking my first physics class and i am not doing too great in it, but the good thing is this is only the first week of class. my question is about the speed formula. i know that the formula is S=D/T, but i still get the problems wrong even thow i plug in the numbers right. here is an example of what i do.

Q1. My dog Daisy can run to the Tn/Ga state line (0.6 miles away) in 5 minutes. What is her speed in miles per hour?

ok here is what i would do:
    1)here is my formula S=0.6m/5min. 2) i would put 5 min into hours .083

3) Then i would divide 0.6m/.083h and get 7.22

what am i doing wrong?
    Make sure you match the units together, so in this case. Instead of changing the time to hours, change it to seconds. Try that...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between true air speed and equivalent air speed [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference between the two and when an aircraft is flying at altitude what is its actual speed

Rearrange this formula to solve for n (no, its not my homework lol) [ 6 Answers ]

p = x*(1 - (1+r)^-n)/r In words: take the negative nth power of (1+r). Subtract from 1, divide by r. This gives the ratio of p to x. I need to be able to solve for n. Can someone help me with creating a formula out of this to solve for n? :confused:

Difference in the Formula calulation [ 3 Answers ]

I am a software engineer. We are creating an efficiency report of employees. we have two reports detail and summary of efficiency of employees. while calculating detail report we are picking up each jobcard done by an employee . Following is the example formula applied is as follows ...

Excel Formula needed [ 1 Answers ]

I am keeping an inventory in Excel. Let's say I start with 100 units of widgets, I take 20 widgets from the shelf, but return 10 wdgets later because I didn't use them. I need a formula that shows the 100, then I want to show that I took 20, and then have Excel show that I returned 10. Can...

View more questions Search