Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angrywhopper Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2009, 03:46 PM
    Wife being sued for credit debt
    My wife is being sued by a collection agency for a 4000.00 account she made payments before she lost her job but after she lost her job I could not manage to pay it all.she is now a stay at home mom taking care of my son can my pay be garnished since the debt was obtained before we were married what will happen
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Mar 13, 2009, 04:35 PM
    If the debt is in your wife's name then a judgment could only be rendered against her and not you. Consequently, only her monies could be subject to a garnishment and not yours.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2009, 07:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice Matters View Post
    If the debt is in your wife's name then a judgment could only be rendered against her and not you. Consequently, only her monies could be subject to a garnishment and not yours.

JusticeMatters doesn't need me to explain their answers (they know what they are talking about) but anything INDIVIDUAL (in her name) or JOINT (in both names) can be liened.

Anything in your name cannot.

Sorry "Justice" - it drives me crazy when people explain to me what I meant (?) but thought it might need clarification.

Waving across the border -
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 14, 2009, 07:31 AM

To further clarify, if you have a joint checking account with your wife, that ENTIRE account can be attached to pay the judgement. You would then have to prove which funds were yours and which were hers to get an adjustment if allowed.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 14, 2009, 04:51 PM

And to go even further, were you ever a signee on the account or did you ever use the card and sign for the item. They could use that in court showing a responsibility

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Served a summons/being sued for credit card debt/first time being sued [ 2 Answers ]

I have been served a summons by first class mail of a lawsuit against me by an asset collection agency on behalf of a credit card company. The asset company has purchased the debt,in an amount just over $1000. My question is how do I proceed as I have never been sued before. I currently am...

Being sued for credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

I have got it set up to stop direct deposit of my ssd check starting in March.That means my February chech will go to my bank account. The deadline on papers is feb 8th.(I was served another one from a different credit card last night)How long after that can the creditors get a judgement? Should I...

Sued for Credit Debt [ 3 Answers ]

I am being sued for a credit card from 2001 from Utah. The original limit was $500, they are trying to sue for over $2000. What can I do? Is this legal?

Being sued for a credit card debt [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I have never reached out to a forum like this before, so please excuse any ignorance I may display in asking questions that you may feel I should know. I have been reading all of the other questions, about being sued, and how to go about it, but just want to know that when I send the...

Wife being sued for credit card debt [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am not from the US and my mother in law told me that the sheriff put a subpoena on her door (for my wife) even though we don't live there anymore. My mother in law says that it has to be delivered in person to the right person, is this true? I wouldn't know. Apparently it is for a...

View more questions Search