Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lncdiane Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2009, 01:19 PM
    How to file a small claim
    I need to file a small claim in Buffalo, NY and need to know the procedure.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2009, 01:42 PM

Not sure on NY law but here in WI, you take copies of all your supporting evidence(reasons why you're suing) to the courthouse and fill out the paperwork. They need the copies to provide to the defendant when they are served.

You'll also need to have the defendant's physical address so that they can be properly served the paperwork by the police.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2009, 07:13 AM

Sort of the same - you go to the jurisidiction of the Defendant (which may or may not be the City of Buffalo or a suburb); you fill out one page listing your name, their name, the cause of action, the dollar amount. No need to provide any "proof." Pay the Court fee. Usually you get a notice in the mail when it's scheduled; some Courts schedule the case when you file it.

Pretty much the same all over NY.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 14, 2009, 07:34 AM

THIS SHOULD HELP:

A Guide to Small Claims Court

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Small claim won, how do I collect [ 2 Answers ]

I have a small claim that I filed and won against an ex roommate. He has since moved to Las Vegas and has not paid a dime of the $4,000 he owes. I live in Washington. Is there a way to collect the debt or to find him and have his wages garnished?

Small claim/contra claim [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Sirs, My name is Andrey. I would like to ask for your opinion on the situation I faced. Two month ago I was contacted by the company that wanted me to translate the documents from Russian into English (I am certified translator/interpreter. I registered at online translator database;...

Small claim [ 1 Answers ]

The collection agency trying to sue me for my debts, I filled out the defense form and we had a settlement date which I attended. We did not settle the case and now within 30 days one of the parties has to apply for a trial. I was wondering should I apply but I am a defended or I have to wait for...

Find former renters so I can file small claim [ 3 Answers ]

My renters moved out without paying rent or their electric bill. Also did a lot of damage. In order to file a claim against them, I have to have a current address. They left no forwarding address with me and only use cell phones. I do have a drivers license number and a social security number for...

Small claim Buffalo, NY [ 3 Answers ]

May I post a claim for refund of a security deposit online? Are claim forms available for download? :confused:

View more questions Search