Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    positive4ever Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2009, 09:02 AM
    H1-B Taxes Head of household or single
    Hi

I will be obtaining an H1-B visa and am currently under the F1 OPT. My employer currently deducts federal taxes under the status "head of household". My correct status, I think, is single (as I have no dependent and I am living with my fiancée). This isn't really important now since the treaty with Belgium exempts 8000$ of gross annual income from taxes. However, should I ask my employer to correct my status for next years taxes? In other words does it really matter which status I put since with the tax exemption I am supposed to recuperate a portion of paid taxes.

Thanks

Greg
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 14, 2009, 03:19 AM

Where did you read that for F1, treaty provides $8000 as exemption?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 6, 2009, 12:36 PM
    Change to SINGLE with one exemption when you convert to the H-1B visa.

There IS a treaty exemption for those either training or studying, but it is $9,000, not $8,000.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Questions on filing head of household on taxes [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my fiancé and I moved in together in mid June 2008. We both pay 1/2 of the household bills. I have 2 dependent children that live with me. I divorced (05/08), and suppport my kids without child support. My fiancé has 2 children he has joint custody of, but his ex will be claiming them on her...

NY State Taxes- IT 201 Head of Household- ITIN needed for spouse? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi- I am a Resident Alien filing my NY State taxes (IT-201) and my status is Head of Household. I will be claiming my child as my qualifying dependent. My wife is a non-resident alien and does not have an ITIN yet (she also has no US income). Since I am filing Head of Household, do I even need...

Widower or Single head of Household [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to help my sister with her taxes using a Turbo Tax program. My sister is a widow with low income under 17.000 she also cares for my 90 year old mother. She pays for my mothers care and my mother lives with her all year My mothers only income is Social security nothing else. My...

Filing taxes as head of household [ 4 Answers ]

Okay, I wrote a Question about how should I file my taxes, and some of you said that I could file head of household and claim my son who lives with me cause he is mildly retared and get a SSI check. Okay now Just out of I'm wondering I called the IRS, the lady on the phone said that I could file...

Head of Household [ 3 Answers ]

I have two clients who are partners. They each live in the same house, both on title, and both on the mortgage. Also, they have a rental property together. One of the partners has two children and wants to file head of household with two dependents. The HOH requirement is that the taxpayer...

View more questions Search