Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iamarcin Posts: 72, Reputation: 4

Aug 29, 2006, 12:58 PM
    Basement bathroom
    Is a 1.5inch diameter pipe thick enough to use as a shower drain?

I have a basement with drain pipes already set up the 2inch pipe is too close to the toilet so is this pipe enough or do I have to bust up the concrete. I already checked it with a garden hose I turned it up all the way and it drained fine.

Thank you.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 29, 2006, 02:54 PM
    "is a 1.5inch diameter pipe thick enough to use as a shower drain?"

It is if you don't mind back ups. A garden hose and shower discharge are two separate things. Matted rotting hair and grease are the common causes of shower clogs. What kind of a shower did you plan to install? A custom tile or a manufactured one? If I could possibly use a 3" drain I would. Regards, Tom
    iamarcin Posts: 72, Reputation: 4

Aug 31, 2006, 11:18 AM
    Thanks for the advice I didn't look at the shower drain in shower base I bought but that was 2" so it took me 3 trips to the home depot for parts but i busted up the basement to where it meets a 4" about 8feet away so it goes 4 to where it splits to the bathroom sink than it goes three to the shower trap where it is a 2" trap and 2 inch up to the shower all good right a word of encouragement before I seal it back up with concrete please
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 31, 2006, 11:23 AM
    You do know that every fixture that has a trap MUST have a vent or be revented back into a dry vent don't you? 2" is the standard pipe size for showers so you have my encouragement, now, back to the vent. Regards. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom in basement [ 1 Answers ]

We have a bathroom rough in in a basement with three pipes up from the floor one is obviously the toile but how do we know which is vent and which is drain? Or are both drains and the rough in is already tied to the vent?:

Bathroom in basement [ 5 Answers ]

Greetings everyone, and thank you for viewing my post. I want to install a bathroom in my basement, but before I start ripping things up (and buying everything in sight at the home store), and after reading lots of posts on this site already, I want to ask a few questions. First, some...

Basement Bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of finishing off a basement bathroom, I am going to tile the floor. There is a pipe approx. 6" high coming out of the floor for the toilet, when installing the floor how close to the floor should I have to cut the pipe off, how much room do I need to leave around that pipe, do I...

Another Basement bathroom job [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Thank you for looking at this question and helping me out. Attached is a MS Word doc that should explain everything. I have read a lot of posts in here and I think I have all the info needed for someone to easily answer my questions. I do have a lot better pictures and drawings, but...

New Basement Bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question that I would like to see if you can answer. I have purchased a newly constructed home with a full basement. The problem is it was not stubbed for a bathroom. My question is, Where I want to locate the bathroom there is a floor drain. Can I cutup the concrete and tap into...

View more questions Search