Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    petrainorem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2009, 09:44 PM
    Hippa Violation
    My sister who is a pharmacist is currently going through a divorce. Her soon to be ex-husband failed out of college and hasn't had a job in the 4 years they have been married. About 1 year ago he had a DVT (deep venous thrombosis) in his upper leg. (He was back to normal activities about 2-3 months later.) My sister asked his doctor that treated him for the DVT to write a statement saying that he doesn't have physical limitations that would stop him from working. (She was using this so he would have to get a job to help take care of himself and pay child support.). He now says that he is going to sue both my sister and the doctor due to HIPAA violations. Did she and/or the doctor violate HIPPA?
    (fyi. He has also called her employer and the state pharmacy board to say that she violated HIPPA and complained about what a bad pharmacist she is due to violating HIPPA.)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2009, 04:26 AM

It's a violation (whether she's a Pharmacist or not) if the Physician released his medical info without his written approval OR a subpoena. I don't see how she violated - she simply requested the info. Someone else provided it.

You don't sue individuals for HIPAA violations. That's not how it works.

Whether she's a "bad" Pharmacist is up to the State Licensing Board to decide.

(And it's HIPAA, not HIPPA.)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 13, 2009, 05:43 AM
    If they were married at the time, I think it would considered reasonable for the doctor to provide her with such info. A lot depends on the nature of the conversation.

For example:

Wife: Doc, can you tell me what you treated hubby for? And is he all better?
    Doc: He had a DVT that is now cured.

That might be a HIPAA violation on the part of the doctor.

On the other hand:

Wife: Doc, is hubby's DVT all better now? Can you give me a letter to that affect?
    Doc: Sure.

There would be no HIPAA violation there because the wife was aware of the diagnosis and was asking if its been cured, not what treatment he received.

The only way the wife might be cited for a HIPAA violation is if he had prescriptions filled at her pharamcy and she looked up his records.

As Judy pointed out, he can't sue over HIPAA, he can only report it so that sanctions could be taken against the violators. She should be reporting this to her divorce attorney who will take care of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

Hippa Law Violation [ 4 Answers ]

Am I violating the hippa law by saying to anyone that I know for an example " There was a lady at the office to today with HIV"but I never disclosed that patients name or anything else about that person. Am I violating the Hippa law by even saying that?

Hippa violation [ 3 Answers ]

I work at a medical billing office, only 2 people in our office ever have reason to look at charts. I recently looked at my own chart as I see a doctor in a group that we bill for to see if any of my co-workers might be looking at my chart and to my surprise my direct supervisor and 2 co-workers...

Hippa Violation? [ 9 Answers ]

Hippa violation by Drs. Office by allowing a non employee full access to all pt records? Ok this could get complicated fast. I had a good friend that "worked" w/o being paid at a Drs. Office. The Dr and she were friends and he had offered her 11.00 per hour and told her anytime she was ready to...

HIPPA violation? [ 7 Answers ]

I was recently transported via ambulance from my place of employment to the emergency room. Before the ambulance arrived, the office supervisors were available to me to inquire if I needed anything, which at that time I did not. The supervisor in question of violation stated, "you know there're...

View more questions Search