Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rawr_itssonya Posts: 60, Reputation: 6

Mar 12, 2009, 08:27 PM
    Need to write a dramatic monologue(poetry) for class but I have writer's block
    Every time I write something I end up crumbling it up and trying to start all over again. Its very frustrating. The other aspect of this poem that makes it difficult is that I have to record myself reading it on tape, which will be evaluated by my teacher as a final exam. Help!!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2009, 02:06 PM

Hi, rawr_itssonya!

How about starting your monologue on this thread? I'm sure that there will be those of us who will be willing to advise you as to how you might make improvements to it.

Many writers of various things often write numerous drafts before coming up with the one that they really want to use for the final copy. It takes a lot of practice...

Thanks!
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2009, 02:15 PM

Have a distinct idea in your head of where you want this to go.Don't start cold ,and expect the juices to flow.Know what your overall theme is going to be.Break it down into parts and it may be easier to tackle.
    Write down various ideas,random thoughts that play on your theme.Expand on the random thoughts.
    Walk away from it but keep it in the back of your mind,inspiration comes from many sources and you never know when it may strike.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2009, 02:28 PM

Great ideas, artlady!

Many times, when I sit down to write something that I will need to present to people, I do the same things that you describe. Walking away from it for awhile is particularly one of the essentials.

Thanks!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 13, 2009, 02:30 PM

Do free verse and keep it simple -- use an everyday occurrence (e.g. the thoughts that go through your mind when dealing with a rude or slow store clerk -- anticipating a first kiss -- worry over a sick pet -- learning to drive -- dealing with cell-phone-using drivers).

--

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What level or class felony is poss/w intent to distribute class d [ 3 Answers ]

In criminal law is possession with intent to distribute class d "one gram " a major or minor felony? I have this on my record because in mass there was no limit to be charged this way But now it is a civil offence no longer a crime.now that mass law is changed when it comes to marijauna will my...

Monologue for audition [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know a good monologue I could practice for an audition? My school is writing their own play and I would love to be in it,but they're requiring our own monologue and I want one that will leave them speechless, it all depends on how I perform of course but a good one would help, thanks!

Think of a character for my monologue? [ 11 Answers ]

I'm finding it hard to get inspired for a monologue I have to do in drama. I need to come up with one that goes for about 5 to 7 minutes, has to include some non-naturalistic elements and has something to do with slander. I want something interesting... something that won't bore everyone to...

Writer's block [ 5 Answers ]

What are the five most effective strategies for overcoming writer's block?

View more questions Search