Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kuchvi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2009, 01:32 PM
    Recording 401 K contributions?
    How do I record 401 K contributions made by employees?
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Mar 12, 2009, 02:07 PM

You would put the contributions to an account like "401k Expense" then when you cut the check to the company that manages your 401k you would use the same account. Net effect should be the match your company puts in is the expense.

You could do it a number of ways… You could use more accounts for example One for contributions one for just the match expense. What accounts do you have available or are you starting this from scratch?
    kuchvi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2009, 02:15 PM
    Thanks for your response. Actually we have just started this at our company. For the time being there is no employer contribution.
    Should I post the contributions to a liability account till they are transferred to the 401K Admin company?

Mar 12, 2009, 05:29 PM

Yes it is a liability, and then when the amounts are remitted to the 401k administrator you clear the liability. I would simply label the account Employee 401(k) contributions.

Just an FYI, the proper way to refer to it is 401(k) with the lower case k. This refers to the section of the tax code in which it was enacted. Just something I thought you might find interesting.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 12, 2009, 05:46 PM

401(k) plans are sanctioned under the IRS code as noted. Employee contributions need to be deposited with a plan administrator.

Mar 12, 2009, 05:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    401(k) plans are sanctioned under the IRS code as noted. Employee contributions need to be deposited with a plan administrator.
    Right but typically they are deducted from payroll and as such are part of the payroll entry (as they reduce the amount the company needs to pay the emp). Then the same day as payroll the company cuts a check and deposits it with the 401(k) administrator. I used to do this every Thursday at an old job a few years back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Owner's Contributions [ 1 Answers ]

I am starting my own Bookkeeping and Consulting business. Is it best to post my start up expenses to owner contributions?

Charitable Contributions [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a church treasurer. A member has given a check for $10,000 for a building fund campaign and wants us to send him a receipt for $5,000 in 2007 and $5,000 in 2008. The donor obviously wants to take $5,000 for tax purposes in each of the two years. While I could set it up this way on the church...

401K contributions [ 1 Answers ]

How much time can elapse after an employer deducts employee 401k contributions from employee pay, to send those funds to a third party investor?

Tax on over-contributions to resp [ 1 Answers ]

If parents are separated/divorced and both are contributing to RESPs for child, mother stops contributing when contributions total maximum $42,000. But father continues to contribute 2,000 and 1,000 more, who is taxed the penalty for over-contributions?

Roth IRA contributions [ 1 Answers ]

I have contributed $4000 in my Roth IRA for 2006. Now I find out that it would be better for me to pay the income tax on an inherited annuity rather than having the estate pay the higher income tax rate. The annuity will be about $175,000, and that would put me over the limit for contributing...

View more questions Search