Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vmmg123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2009, 08:27 AM
    Retireing Treasury Stock
    Five years ago my small business (S corp) purchased treasury stock from a shareholder. How can I remove the negative treasury stock item under capital on my balance sheet. I have no plan to reissue the stock.
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Mar 12, 2009, 05:40 PM

If you are the only shareholder simply buy the stock back from the company. I would be easiest to do this at the price the company originally bought the stock back for. Otherwise you will have to recognize and gain or loss and this kind of related party transaction would not hold up to scrutiny by anyone. Better yet do you have any way to estimate what the fair market value of the company stock is?

You see you have to be really careful here not to make any transaction that benefits you personally and is unfair to the company. Even though it might not feel that way, the company is its own separate legal entity and must be treated as such, otherwise you risk losing your limited liability.

If you don't want to deal with all of that why not just leave it there? It is not doing any harm sitting there and plus you never know when you might want to raise some additional capital by selling it again to what I assume would be a minority shareholder.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accounting for treasury stock used in stock dividend [ 1 Answers ]

How do I account for treasury stock use in a stock dividend for preferred stock? What would the journal entry by? I don't believe I should debit retained earnings for this transaction, but I'm not sure what account to debit. Please Help

Treasury stock [ 1 Answers ]

How do you account for Subsequent resale of treasury shares at a price less than purchase price but more than par value.

Treasury stock [ 1 Answers ]

1. The purchase of Treasury stock is recorded at cost Debit Treasury Stock for $2,500 Credit Cash for $2,500 2. Debit Cash for 600 Credit Treasury Stock for 500 Credit Paid-in Capital - Share repurchase for 100 3. Debit Cash for 360 Debit Paid-in Capital - Share repurchase for 100

Treasury Stock [ 1 Answers ]

When using the cost method to account for treasury stock, how do you account for the commissions and fees paid? Are they expensed or charged to treasury stock?

About Treasury Stock [ 1 Answers ]

What is true about treasury stock? 1.increases stockholder equity 2.is issued, but not outstanding 3.is more similar to preferred stock than to common stock 4.is issued by a firm to finanace expansion of operations

View more questions Search