Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

May 1, 2009, 09:09 AM

Hopefully. My aunt has rescued so many dogs that they have altered the last few for free. Out in the country a whole lot of dogs just get dumped off, especially by the dumpsters at the very end of our road.

What I did to tame them was simple enough, I fed them. I put the food down at a certain time and started sitting back a good fifty feet or more before they would come and eat it. Over time they got use to my presence and I would inch closer and closer until I was able to sit right next to them. Then I worked on touching and petting them. It was a big old patience contest but by the end they all knew me and would let me pet them.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 1, 2009, 09:14 AM

That is pretty much what we did with the mother cat from the first litter but because she was injured I think she knew we were helping somehow and came around a lot faster.

I will try that Silver, and thank you again for the info :)
    AuntSwee Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

May 1, 2009, 11:40 AM

To bad your not in the USA, around here we have vouchers to get animals spayed. You agree to pay for a part of the process and they pay the rest. I got 10 males and females fixed for $20. I told them about grabbing the stray's around here. At least they are still getting fed and no babies. Only found 2 kittens this year. Maybe my hard work is paying off. I hope so. Just found out that my neighbor is doing the same thing. She found out what I was doing and decided to help out too. Maybe I started something. No more babies yet this year only the 2. Yipeee.

May 1, 2009, 11:43 AM
    Talk to some of your shelters about fund raising to start a Spay and neuter program in your area. A lot of the businesses around here donate to the cause.
    trmpldonagn Posts: 252, Reputation: 15

May 1, 2009, 01:32 PM

Who doesn't love a happy ending?
    This post just made my day. It is so nice to know that there are so many caring people for animals out there. As time goes on, I see this more and more often. The laws against "certain things" or "dealings" with animals have become strict whereas years ago someone would get a slap on the wrist for hurting an animal. Thanks to all of you very very caring people out there. Beyond words.

I'm sure and pray that the family, including the new additions, is OK now but be careful that any other animals can't smell the food and get near the family. I'm not sure which types of animals are near you. Best of luck with all that you are trying to do and please keep us posted. Thanks. And don't worry too much about the RSPCA. I think the public should know about some things. You might be surprised at how many people would respond and be outraged.
    Uber Member

May 1, 2009, 11:00 PM

Thanks again guys.

I like the idea of the fundraiser! I'll look into that! I still haven't posted my letter to the local newspaper :o Good thing I didn't too because now I want to add that to it!

Good point trmpldnagn - there aren't many stray dogs in the area, just a whole lotta cats! Next to us we used to have about 20 wallabies and a few kangaroos but since they started putting the road in they have all moved further into the bush... very sad, we miss feeding them every night :(
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

May 2, 2009, 02:07 PM

Well we certainly don't have kangaroos and wallaby here but I would definitely miss the gators if they ever tried to develop around here. Not that they really would.
    Uber Member

May 3, 2009, 02:32 AM

:eek: is it true that they live in the sewers? Lol
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 4, 2009, 12:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AuntSwee View Post
    To bad your not in the USA, around here we have vouchers to get animals spayed. You agree to pay for a part of the process and they pay the rest. I got 10 males and females fixed for $20.
    This isn't a USA thing - it's a locality thing. Around here we have no vouchers and you'd never get 10 animals fixed for any $20. We do have different programs, some of which are private, and they can change. The humane society here fixes them all before they're adopted out. There are other private places which do it - one place is a mobile unit that goes to different neighborhoods each week and it's like $13 per animal.

You basically need to do some good searching in your area to find out what might exist. There might be something already out there and you just don't know about it. I'd start with the internet, but if you talk to enough people where you live, maybe someone knows something.
    Uber Member

May 4, 2009, 12:24 AM

Thanks for the info Morgaine but unfortunately there are pretty much only 3 shelters where I live. A regular one and 2 wildlife ones. No private organisations.
    I think I might post in the charity section to find out how I would go about setting up a donation fund. Unless anyone here has any ideas?

I'd love to start my own, and be able to get enough donations to hand out vouchers.

May 6, 2009, 01:46 AM
    :
    I didn't realize that the vouchers weren't every where. I have lived int two different states and lots of different cities and they all had the vouchers. I guess you learn something new everyday. Most of the time I paid more than $20 dollars to get the animals fixed. It was based on how much you could afford to pay. They helped me out so that we didn't have so many feral cats running around. Now that the economy is so bad there isn't as much money available right now. I wish you lots of funding for spaying and neutering the animals in your area. There has to be some people who want to help but just don't know how.;)
    Uber Member

May 6, 2009, 02:11 AM

Ahhh but have you lived in a different country?
    The Australian shelters can be excellent in some ways but really bad in others.
    Most of our shelters the animals only have a "2 week shelf life" before they get put down. You struggle to find a no-kill shelter.

On the up side no animal is to be adopted out unless it is completely healthy and temperament checked.
    All animals are spayed/neutered before thye are adopted, or if you take an unaltered animal you have to provide proof that you have had it done yourself.

May 6, 2009, 09:48 PM

That is wonderful, that your shelters spay and nueter.
    Uber Member

May 7, 2009, 12:29 AM

Yes, it's good. :)
    We recently adopted a rabbit and we took him unaltered, we had to provide proof that we had our own vet do the neutering.

May 12, 2009, 11:01 PM

Hi again Shaz. I think it's absolutely wonderful that you are considering setting up a donation fund. Go for it! You actually even gave me an idea for where I live. I can only take care of so many... It actually has to do with wildlife though and that's another thread so I'll save that.

You're a good hearted person aren't you? And no need to really answer that. I don't know any animal lover that isn't. Keep up the good work and smart thinking. Do keep us posted. I'd love to know what comes of your future endeavors to help animals.
    Uber Member

May 12, 2009, 11:07 PM

Thank you trmpldongn :)

I have an appointment with my vet in a couple of weeks for vaccinations so I'm going to ask him about it then :)

May 12, 2009, 11:11 PM

Great! Let me (and everyone else) know. I think so much good can only come out of it.
    Uber Member

May 12, 2009, 11:39 PM

I will do.
    I'm worried about the legal side of it... for example if I give someone a spay voucher and their dog/cat dies on the table.

Once I have done a bit more research I will post a full report :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Older cats ganging up on newer cats [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I have two 14 year old cats, I recently introduced two 4 year old sisters. We attempted to "introduce" them correctly. Over the last week or so, one of the older cats stalks and corners either of the younger cats with the other older cat joining in for good measure. The noise is terrifying....

3 old cats vs the 3 new cats in the home [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there All, I've been in my apartment for awhile with my 3 cats. Now, my friend is moving in and bringing 3 more cats with her. While hers were still in their carriers, there was a lot of hissing and shackles raised. Friend's cats will be upstairs for awhile. We would like to know the time for...

Ideas for dealing with stray neighborhood cats? [ 31 Answers ]

We just bought a house and we are moving in in 2 weeks. I have noticed that there are 2 stray cats who hang around the house ALL the time. They walk & sleep on the cars, prowl around and use our yard as a litter box! We have 3 indoor only kittens (all spayed) and I am worried that having these...

Stray cats can they be a health hazard [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a house and found out the cats (at least 5) have been living in the crawl space, I didn't notice the smell until the weather starting to get warmer, but my entire house smell of cat urine!! I don't know how to find out if this has an effect on our health or how to get rid of the...

My new female cats hates all my male cats! [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a new female cat but she is like a year old, all my male cats like her and want to see her buy she just starts hissing at them and they get away... I want them to get along but I don't know how... I have 4 males one is a year old , the othere one is 5 months and the other 2 are 2...

View more questions Search