Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ltrimble Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2009, 04:21 AM
    Extra principle mortgage payments
    Do extra principle mortgage payments decrease the interest paid on the original loan, or do they simple decrease the number of payments made. I have a 15 year mortgage with 13 years left, and wonder about refinancing with a lower rate or just paying extra principle.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 12, 2009, 11:50 AM

Extra principal payments reduce the amount of principal outstanding, which has the effect of (a) having les of your future payments go to paying interest, and hence more go to principal, and (b) shortening the time it takes to pay back the loan. So to answer your question - yes it reduces the total amount of interest you pay over the life of the loan and yes it decreases the number of payments you have to make over the life of the loan. What it doesn't do is reduce the amount of your monthly payment - it stays constant. You present your scenario as "either-or": either you will refinance or you will pay off some principal - but why not do both? Given the choice, I would suggest refinancing, as the reduction in interest payments goes right to your pocket, which in turn will make it easier to prepay principal down the road.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Extra Payments on Mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

Which Banks let you make extra payments on your mortgage with out charging a fee?

Short on mortgage payments [ 4 Answers ]

I am one month behind on my mortgage payments, if I pay a portion towards a payment until I catch up will this negatively affect my credit? Are there any other steps that I can approach my lender with that they may be willing to accept.

Mortgage payments [ 3 Answers ]

I have 5 daughters and 1 son who has a terminal disease and I have a disibility my husband has to stay at home and care for us. Our mortgage and loan which we took out to do some adaptations are getting harder to reach the repayments each month as our income is low are there any grants or...

Behind on Mortgage Payments [ 3 Answers ]

3 Months behind on Mortgage Payments, credit poor cannot qualify for refinancing, talking to "foreclosure experts" who claim they can work with my lender to stop foreclosure. This is a process called loss mitigation, another company wants to pay off my home and outstanding credit but I would have...

View more questions Search