Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbeachgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2009, 03:18 AM
    Abandonment of home and family
    I have a friend that his wife cheated on him and has asked for a divorce. They have two children and have lived in the same home and been married for 15 years. She moved out and is wanting to sell the home and take away the only home the kids have ever known. In the state of Florida, is there an abandonment law that protects him from her gaining custody of the kids and selling the home.
    theROICoach Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2009, 09:40 AM

Most abandonment laws require a great deal of time to pass to be considered abandonment (usually at least 6 months to a year). Plus, if she files for divorce first, she becomes the plaintiff and sets all the rules in terms of court dates and times and she can also, as the plaintiff, file for temporary custody. If she does that, she'll be looked at as leaving him but not abandoning her children. Your friend really needs to get a divorce lawyer and file for divorce first and have her served first. That puts the ball in his court. He can also ask for temporary full custody of the kids and the ability to stay in his home. I would tell your friend not to sleep on this. Go get a lawyer and file.

Pre-Divorce Planning For Smart People
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 13, 2009, 10:04 AM

Generally abandonment is used as GROUNDS for divorce, not as a law that protects one party or the other.

So, as ROI notes, if she files first it wouldn't be considered abandonment.

As for selling the house, that is negotiated as part of the divorce agreement. If she is part owner of the house, then she can give up her interest in the house for other considerations. Or the divorce settlement can stipulate that he buy her out.

What will really protect him is to get an attorney right away to protect his rights.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Conversion of mobile home to single family home [ 5 Answers ]

In 1995, we bought some land & moved a salvaged mobile home on it. The mobile wasn't permanent meaning we only needed to live in it until we could build our house. We first added onto the mobile a 12x60 section. We then began to tear down the mobile home & eventually added a front section. The...

Family law/child abandonment [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Georgia my daughters father left when I was 5 months pregnant. When she was born I filed for child support. Paternity was established and for the most part of the last 3 years (since her birth) has not paid or not paid on time, has some arrears, has gone to jail and court. Recently OCSS...

1/3 home owner family estate. Can I borrow with home as colatural? [ 1 Answers ]

My brothers and I each own 1/3 of estate property that we want to sale in the near future. Is it possible I could get a loan based on my 1/3 of the estate? With consent of brothers, and how would they be effected?

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

View more questions Search