Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2006, 05:59 PM
    Cricket cookies
    I have decided to start eating bugs. Here is a great recipe for cricket cookies. Try it... you will like it! Have a tooth pick handy as their hind legs do get stuck in your teeth. I am looking for recipies using worms. If anyone has any please let me know. I am looking for the recipe that uses deep crispy fried earth worms as the noodles for chop suey.

Chocolate Chirpie Chip Cookies
    Ingredients:
    2 1/4 cup flour
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. salt
    1 cup butter, softened
    3/4 cup sugar
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1 tsp. vanilla
    2 eggs
    1 12-ounce chocolate chips
    1 cup chopped nuts
    1/2 cup dry-roasted crickets
    Directions:
    Preheat oven to 375. In small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. In large bowl, combine butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla; beat until creamy. Beat in eggs. Gradually add flour mixture and insects, mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded measuring teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Aug 29, 2006, 05:53 PM
    Where, pray tell, does one obtain the required 1/2 cup dry-roasted crickets?
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2006, 06:55 PM
    That's the fun part. You go hunting! Pull the grass back along the fence, under stuff in the yard... they're every where! They taste great roasted.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Aug 29, 2006, 07:11 PM
    Grooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooss MAGGIE!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

You really are a poophead. You have, in a single post, put me off every cookie known to man for a while now. Gawd.
    Worse yet, I am probably going to have cricket nightmares now too.

Aug 29, 2006, 08:59 PM
    With the amount of cosmetic pesticide use in my town, I'd be reluctant to chow down on any insects I found in my backyard. *sigh*

Waiting eagerly for the day when a cosmetic pesticide ban is actually enacted in my municipality. A few dandilions never hurt anyone. A few aromatic esters have.
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2006, 09:52 PM
    Val, dmatos, you both need to toughen up a bit. Go out in the yard, pluck up a big juicy worm and slurp it down like a bit of pasta. They are yummy!
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2006, 04:23 AM
    I hear they are quite nutritious... I do know you can get crickets very cheap at pet stores that have not been around any pesticides... its not my cup of tea eating bugs but hey to each his own... hope you enjoy your tasty critter cookies ;)

Aug 30, 2006, 04:28 PM
    Oh, yeah! Totally forgot about the pet stores! They're fodder for lizards there, but safe for human consumption as well.
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2006, 04:06 AM
    Yep. I get them there for my sisters lizard at least once a week they are nice and cheap if I didn't mention that

Have a good one
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Sep 1, 2006, 02:12 AM
    Not sure about crickets, but grasshoppers can harbor tapeworms, so don't eat them raw unless you first remove the digestive tract. That's the theory anyhow. You don't truly expect me to test this. Pet store insects should be parasite free. Heck, I make people sick enough every time I order spicy octopus. Just a friendly bit of advice from the resident naturalist. :D
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2006, 09:28 AM
    I prefurr the spicy eel. I find octopus quite chewy but so yummy!
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Sep 1, 2006, 05:53 PM
    I've only had eel sushi, but it was really good. I agree, octopus can be tough to chew, but I enjoy it. Another of my favorite dishes is Plear (Cambodian beef salad). The menu says, "it's an acquired taste", and they tell me I'm one of the only people who ever order it, as the dressing is made from lime juice and anchovies.
    I have many odd culinary tastes.
    fed up Posts: 91, Reputation: 6

Sep 1, 2006, 06:48 PM
    Throw them in chocolate. You will never know the difference. Heck us Canadians use them all the time in cooking.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 1, 2006, 06:49 PM
    Cookies, I need cookies. I don't care what kind, or where they came from, I just need energy!!

Please pass the cookies.
    scokat Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2009, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dmatos View Post
    Where, pray tell, does one obtain the required 1/2 cup dry-roasted crickets?
    I hope this helps you. This farm raises all insects and ship them live overnight if you want. Good Luck I just mad my second batch of cookies:)

[email protected]

By Mail:
    Fluker Farms Customer Care
    1333 Plantation Ave
    Port Allen, La. 70767-4087
    By Phone:
    Local (225) 343-7035
    Toll Free (800) 735-8537
    By Fax:
    (225) 336-0671

Sep 1, 2009, 12:07 PM

I hope this helps you. This farm raises all insects and ship them live overnight if you want. Good Luck I just mad my second batch of cookies

By Mail:
    Fluker Farms Customer Care
    1333 Plantation Ave
    Port Allen, La. 70767-4087
    By Phone:
    Local (225) 343-7035
    Toll Free (800) 735-8537
    By Fax:
    (225) 336-0671

Sep 1, 2009, 12:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob View Post
    I have decided to start eating bugs. Here is a great recipe for cricket cookies. Try it...you will like it! Have a tooth pick handy as their hind legs do get stuck in your teeth. I am looking for recipies using worms. If anyone has any please let me know. I am looking for the recipe that uses deep crispy fried earth worms as the noodles for chop suey.

Chocolate Chirpie Chip Cookies
    Ingredients:
    2 1/4 cup flour
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. salt
    1 cup butter, softened
    3/4 cup sugar
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1 tsp. vanilla
    2 eggs
    1 12-ounce chocolate chips
    1 cup chopped nuts
    1/2 cup dry-roasted crickets
    Directions:
    Preheat oven to 375. In small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. In large bowl, combine butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla; beat until creamy. Beat in eggs. Gradually add flour mixture and insects, mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded measuring teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
    One thing you could have added is Crickets should be placed into a plastic baggie. Freeze them for a couple of hours to kill them. Wash in a small collander and place on paper towels on a cookie sheet in oven at 200 degrees for 2 hours to dry roast.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2009, 03:24 PM
    I'll stick with peanut butter, regular chocolate chip, oatmeal, etc,:D
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Sep 3, 2009, 03:20 PM
    When your husband is an exterminator, there are just some things you don't want to think about asking him to bring home for dinner. His victims are are very high on that list. :(

However, I did do a quick search and found a recipe for Mealworm Fried Rice. The site also has a lot of other very strange recipes covering a wide variety dishes and ingredients (titles alone are amusing) that I probably shouldn't read before starting dinner.

Mealworm Fried Rice
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2009, 05:13 AM

Ahhh don't be like that Cat, I'm sure he could bring you home all sorts of things to expand your cooking repertoire!

I'm with Dahlia though, regular chocolate chip for me please!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Game of Cricket [ 4 Answers ]

How do you describe the game of cricket in detail?

Cookies [ 5 Answers ]

Is there a page where I can find out who owns the cookies that keep appearing when I do scan?? Toydajo

Cricket [ 1 Answers ]

Which is the only indian player who captained india in under19,22,india,indian masters

Enabling cookies [ 1 Answers ]

How do I enable cookies for internet explorer 5

View more questions Search