Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FIXIT65 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2009, 08:27 PM
    Iam interested in fostering a child ,I care of my mother.
    I own my own home have often wanted to help a child at least, would love child of my own right now I am not sure I could afford one.I believe there are so many children out there that could benefit from a safe environment loving home .What are qualifications required. I have thought of this for many years. THANKS
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2009, 06:25 PM
    Where so you live? All you need to do is take the first step and call Social Services in your area, they will direct you to what you need to do to get on the list of qualified foster care providers list! This is wonderful, this though is wonderful, I wish you the best of luck!
    Meredith1978 Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

May 6, 2009, 06:49 AM

Most states offer classes that are required to become a foster parent. You would have to complete them, go through a home study and you have to prove you have the time, and money to do it. They help with some of the costs involved but they don't consider that income. So you have to prove stability. Good luck
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2009, 08:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Meredith1978 View Post
    Most states offer classes that are required to become a foster parent. You would have to complete them, go through a home study and you have to prove you have the time, and money to do it. They help with some of the costs involved but they don't consider that income. So you have to prove stability. Good luck
    I don't want anyone scared away... and I do not intend to under mind you, I have never heard of an applicant having his/her finances checked or cleared in order to become a foster parent.

May 6, 2009, 08:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by startover22 View Post
    I don't want anyone scared away...and I do not intend to under mind you, I have never heard of an applicant having his/her finances checked or cleared in order to become a foster parent.
    I will clarify. I was in foster care in 6 states and all of them required a credit check, and did go over finances to insure it would not be a burden (not for expenses like daycare because those are usually covered for the child) but for financial strain because foster kids usually have court, counsiling, visitation, etc and require that someone be able to handle that without suffering a financial burden from lost time at work.

I have looked into doing foster care in 3 states and all of them required a credit check and looked into financial history. I cannot say it is like that in all 50 states but it seems to be a trend.
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2009, 08:46 AM
    I have only done foster care in one state, they made sure I have a safe place for the child to sleep and eat, that it all. For the most part... I am going to look into this when I have more time. Credit checks... wow

May 6, 2009, 10:35 AM

I don't see the credit check as bad when I look at it from the other side. Between counsiling, case reviews, court, evaluations, groups, on top of normal kids stuff, it can financially devestate someone. Often times the most successful foster parents work from home (like taking care of a parent) or daycare or have flexible jobs. I've had a job that offered flextime. My job now would definitely be jeopardized by taking care of a foster child even though I make more money now than before.

I reread my response (I was a foster child in six states not a foster parent just to clarify)
    I looked into becoming a foster parent in Kansas, Texas, and Maine though the one in Maine was a private agency that handled my first few times in foster care, so it may be different with private agency.

I think the credit check is more for stability if that makes sense, not so much about income. Either way, super if they don't, but I am glad they did check only because it made me consider some of those things myself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father Asks mother for child support when mother has no money [ 2 Answers ]

My mother got re-married and had my little brother with this man. He is now 10, I'm 15 and my sister is 17. (Our father pays child support but not on a regular basis, you can't depend on it) About 3 years ago they separated and got a divorce. We had custody of him. Then my brothers father filed...

Mother who doesn't care [ 3 Answers ]

I am writing to ask about the child abandonment laws in Texas because my 3 yr old nephew's mother has left her son to live with either my mom or his father. She goes months at a time without seeing him and has not been of financial support either. She is living from place to place, working in bars...

Can we claim Child Care Expenses for child with ITIN? [ 1 Answers ]

We are on L1 visa, married and filing jointly. We would like to know if we can claim child care expenses ( day care) for our child who qualifies for a dependent child but does not have an SSN. We have been told that if the child has an ITIN we can only claim for the child care credit ( i.e 1000$)...

Child care expense credit ffor a resident alien child with ITIN [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a resident alien on a J1 (do not get W2) while my husband is on J2 and gets W2. Can I claim child care expense credit for my resident alien son who has a ITIN? I was wondering this since I might not qualify for earned income but my husband income does, can we claim the child care expense...

View more questions Search