Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1099question Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2009, 06:07 PM
    Incorrect 1099 Received
    I've received a 2008 1099-MISC for money I did not receive in 2008.

This was from a company I worked with in 2006 and this money was a subsidy. I did receive other money from them in 2006 for which I received a 1099 and claimed.

I rang the company and they informed me that they converted the subsidy to income in February of 2008 and there was nothing they can or will do to correct the 1099.

I did call the IRS and they were not very helpful. I was told I need to claim it or be subject to penalties. They did state that I should dispute this with the company, a process I've begun. But, otherwise, they trust the 1099 and not the taxpayer. There is noting that I can provide to the IRS to prove I did not receive this money in 2008.

Does anyone have any experience in this kind of situation. Any ideas?

Thanks.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2009, 11:05 PM

Contact the company to find out how they treated the subsidy in 2006. May be you will have to amend your 2006 tax return and report it on 2008 tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Received 1099-MISC [ 3 Answers ]

My wife purchased a printing business in May 2007 with existing monthly customers. We filed a W-9 to each customer stating my wife SS number. At the end of the year, we received 1099-MISC from some customers with the old owners SS number and listed income received through-out the entire year. Do...

Haven't received my 1099 [ 3 Answers ]

I haven't received my 1099 as of 2-22-08. I quit my job and was told they were going to add other charges to my 1099. What can I do to dispute these charges. I only have a copy of the hand written stubs for my payroll...

1099 Received after already filed [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I was just notified that I would be receiving a 1099 from the employer I started working for at the tail end of 2006. I probably should have anticipated getting one, but I didn't and already filed my return. What should I do once I get the 1099? I didn't make a whole lot of money...

Received a W2 and 1099 from same employer? [ 1 Answers ]

I am hoping someone can shed some light on an unusal tax situation. My husband has been with the same company for 4 1/2 years. Each pay period he receives one paycheck from his employer. For the past 3 1/2 years, he has always received one W2 for his earnings. For some reason this year is...

Haven't received a 1099-MISC [ 3 Answers ]

I worked last year as a consultant for a small company. I haven't received a 1099-MISC from them, though I'm certain they will report my income. Frankly, I'm concerned that without significant badgering I won't ever see the 1099-MISC. Any suggestions for getting them to hurry things up? Can I file...

View more questions Search